DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, what is usually underneath a kitchen island quartz countertop when finished? I just went thru a kitchen remodel nightmare for 6 of the longest months of my life! :vs_mad: When I asked the contractor if they were going to just leave the plywood under the island the way it was, rough and unfinished, he told me " nobody is going to get on their hands and knees to look"? That might be true, but I will! Unbelievable... I have young grandchildren, that are about the same height as counters, and will probably stick toys or food in the gap? Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Photos would be helpful to us. Not sure what the "gap" is that you're referring to, for example.

In answer to your question, though, the "finished" look is to use steel/aluminum supports in an area where there is an eating area overhang on an island. I assume that is where you're seeing plywood underneath.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
I've heard that on the west coast they use 3/4" granite with a plywood substrate, and on the east coast they use 1-1/4" thickness granite with no substrate. This seems to back that up. I agree with the installer that as long as the bottom of the substrate is flush with the counter overhang, there is no problem. OP, if it really bugs you, have him paint it white.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you wanted/needed something else other than what was done. This should have been indicated in the contract ahead of them placing the stone top onto the top of the cabinets. After the fact is a little late to be bringing this up. Now you have the cost of a new slab of quartz, plywood and steel supports.

We used flat bar stock steel as hang over support, but that has nothing to do with what the most part of the quartz counter rests. We placed our top on the top of a piece of antique furniture. I'm not concerned with what it looks like from underneath. All that can be seen is the bottom side of the quartz, and of course the 4 pieces of steel to support the over hang.

You may sand and paint the plywood. You could have specified in the contract to use A-B grade plywood. Turning the A side to the floor so that it is smooth. But would still need to be painted. This is something more personal preference as to what goes into your own home. You are the boss on any construction in your own home. The material you state to be used, will be used. If not, find a new contractor/company. But you have to let them know what you want before the work begins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.