DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drywall in kitchen is mudded, taped and almost all primed. So I probably should have posted this a week ago before all that. :)

I was told by an electrician this was OK, but still am a but unsure, and while priming last night, thought before going further, should ask here.

I have wiring coming in at 3 points along my kitchen wall for under cabinet lighting. While putting up the drywall, I just stabbed through the drywall on a level line at the bottom point where the cabinets would be and ran the romex out and capped off until the lights went in.

It is the same for the wiring coming out for the dishwasher.

Also, same for the disposal, only that is coming out where the PVC drain pipe is as well, being that it is in that same cabinet.

Here's the question: does the romex need to be in a box at these points? Or does the drywall around the romex need any sort of ring or clamp? It seems odd to me that it would be just stabbed through and OK like that, but that's what I've been told. They all happen to be along the same wall, but 3 different circuits.

I snapped some pictures with my camera phone this morning before heading to work, not sure they will help, I was a bit bleary eyed and possibly still buzzed from the Zinnser 1-2-3 last night.:jester: :whistling2:

UC Lighting romex sticking out (if you can tell):

Romex for disposal:

Wiring into dishwasher:

·
Electrician
1,404 Posts
For your lights it all depends on the type of light your useing. If it has a built in junction box(i.e fluroscent light) you are fine. If you have some type of puck light then you will need to terminate that end somewhere and that will have to be in a box.

Your dishwasher is good because they have a small built in junction box.

If you plan on going straight to the disposal you are good. If you plan on putting a cord end on the disposal and plugging it in, you will need to mount a plug and obviously that has to be in a box.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK - I am going into direct wiring w/ no transformers on the UC lights, same with dishwasher like you said and same with disposal.

SO - just to clarify, there is NO NEED to protect/house/support the romex at the point that itis coming through the drywall other than securing it to the bottom of the cabinet and underneath the dishwasher and just the short distance to the disposal?

Given the fact going with no boxes, at the point the romex "stabs" through the drywall, is there anything that I can put there to support/protect the wire and drywall from rubbing against each other? It just seems like over time the drywall could degrade in that area and get crumbly. I've used plastic circle protectors on runs through metal studs... but those seem like they would "stick out" too much and be noticed (only really matters for the UC lighting holes.. those are the only ones that could be exposed)... any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
It is done that way everyday with no problems.
If you have concerns, make the hole in the drywall a little bit larger.

·
Electrician
1,404 Posts
On most cabinets I have seen they have a lip(maybe an inch) below the cabinet. I don't know the proper term but its a lip around the bottom of the cabinet to finish it off nicely. Drill a hole in this piece of wood and this will give your wire lots of support and keep it tight to the bottom of your cabinet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.