DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first time here so please bear with me. I just recently built a small workshop off from the side of my house and hope to be building my first ukulele in it soon which will be given to my grandson. This shop use to be a car port, I left the roof and enclosed it all in, and so far it's turned out pretty good for a weekend warrior. It's 10 feet wide and 20 feet long and I'm hoping to add drywall to my ceiling which is framed in 2 x 4's, a contractor friend told me it would be adequate framing with 2 x 4's, just wanting some second opinions. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would go with 2x6 for the ceiling joists. When I was in western ny the code there was 12 feet for a 2x6 ceiling joist so i imagine a 2x4 would be a lot less. you wont have to worry about your ceiling sagging and you might want to mount sopmething to it someday. Also "adequate" is the way they build a lot of houses nowadays not good like they used to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already Done

Thanks Danny, I've already gone with the 2 x 4's, hopefully it will work out and still have a few days to bring it all down I suppose, I'd hate to though if it will be adequate, I may tie into the 2 x 6's that's supporting the roof which is just inches away, I built this ceiling for insulation purposes as well as to vent this area. I like this forum already! Mark

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Thanks Danny, I've already gone with the 2 x 4's, hopefully it will work out and still have a few days to bring it all down I suppose, I'd hate to though if it will be adequate, I may tie into the 2 x 6's that's supporting the roof which is just inches away, I built this ceiling for insulation purposes as well as to vent this area. I like this forum already! Mark
You must live in a temperate climate if a 2x4 space for insulation is adequate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is somewhat of a drop ceiling from the roof so there's adequate room for insulation. I'm in the middle of taking out the 2 x 4 installation and will be going with 2 x 6 after all, I just think it's a wiser choice based on all I'm reading here and I'd like to go with the 5/8 inch drywall. Thanks for sharing your comments on this post!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would go with 2x6 for the ceiling joists. When I was in western ny the code there was 12 feet for a 2x6 ceiling joist so i imagine a 2x4 would be a lot less. you wont have to worry about your ceiling sagging and you might want to mount sopmething to it someday. Also "adequate" is the way they build a lot of houses nowadays not good like they used to.

Thanks Danny, after further research I'm taking your advice and I believe it will be much better down the road for taking the extra time to do it right. Appreciate you commenting on my post! Mark

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
the 2x4's may have been adequate but you might want to store some stuff up there or hang something from the ceiling. you can't go wrong upgrading a little.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts