DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big box stores sell different types of mud. There is the regular drywall mud and there is the lightweight mud. I've been using the regular mud for the tape and first two coats but I haven't really seen much of an advantage with the lightweight mud. In fact there is a big disadvantage, it is more expensive and instead of 4 gallons it is only 3 1/2 gallons, and it seems that once I clean the seam up and go to reuse the lightweight mud, it seems just like the regular drywall mud. So, do you guys that do this on a regular basis use the lightweight mud at all?

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Fills better, feathers better, easier to sand. Yep I use it.

Reactions: Robpo

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I use durabond 90 for taping and the second coat.Use USG topping(blue top) for the slick coat.May be in the minority but it works and looks good to me and my customers.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm very new to this but the best I can tell the light weight is no worse than the standard stuff, it's just lighter and costs more. I've been using USG's light weight that comes in the 3.5 gallon grey container and love it. They claim it's just as good as the green lid but weighs less and is easier sanding.

The USG Sheetrock brand stuff I believe all costs about the same per bucket, however the green lid is 5 gallon, blue lid is 4.5 gallon and blue lid grey bucket is 3.5 gallon. if you're a contractor going through many buckets I could see this adding up fast, but for the little bit I go through it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I'm very new to this but the best I can tell the light weight is no worse than the standard stuff, it's just lighter and costs more. I've been using USG's light weight that comes in the 3.5 gallon grey container and love it. They claim it's just as good as the green lid but weighs less and is easier sanding.

The USG Sheetrock brand stuff I believe all costs about the same per bucket, however the green lid is 5 gallon, blue lid is 4.5 gallon and blue lid grey bucket is 3.5 gallon. if you're a contractor going through many buckets I could see this adding up fast, but for the little bit I go through it doesn't matter.
OK guys I know it sounds petty but first off it can be confusing to someone new;
When we say green lid there are 2 one is a bright green lid. This is all purpose and can be used for taping or finish. Then we have the ugly lighter green lid this is ultra light weight. The difference in the 2 is the amount of glue in each. This is what gives it it's strength. The ultra is softer this makes it easier to work with and easier to sand. I use for final coat and for skim coats.
Blue lid we also have 2 one is a bright blue lid and is labeled #3 lightweight I use this a lot for patches or 2nd and 3rd coats. This has less glue than the all purpose. So again it's softer and easier to sand than the all purpose. Used to work for someone who used this for all coats, got a lot of callbacks for cracks.
The next blue lid is a light blue lid, This is topping and it has almost no glue. This mud should only be used as final coat. Fills well, sands easy, but NO strength.
The gray bucket is "dustless" you still get dust but it's supposed to fall on the flood instead of being airborne. It's more expensive hence the smaller bucket.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
352 Posts
OK guys I know it sounds petty but first off it can be confusing to someone new;
When we say green lid there are 2 one is a bright green lid. This is all purpose and can be used for taping or finish. Then we have the ugly lighter green lid this is ultra light weight. The difference in the 2 is the amount of glue in each. This is what gives it it's strength. The ultra is softer this makes it easier to work with and easier to sand. I use for final coat and for skim coats.
Blue lid we also have 2 one is a bright blue lid and is labeled #3 lightweight I use this a lot for patches or 2nd and 3rd coats. This has less glue than the all purpose. So again it's softer and easier to sand than the all purpose. Used to work for someone who used this for all coats, got a lot of callbacks for cracks.
The next blue lid is a light blue lid, This is topping and it has almost no glue. This mud should only be used as final coat. Fills well, sands easy, but NO strength.
The gray bucket is "dustless" you still get dust but it's supposed to fall on the flood instead of being airborne. It's more expensive hence the smaller bucket.
Hope this helps.

How does the grey bucket blue lid compared to the other lightweights?

Also, how do they all compare to setting type compound? I noticed USG's setting type compound, which I think is also often called hot mud? seemed to all claim to be lightweight. And do they all become equally hard after being sealed / primed?

I had to patch a hole in one of my plaster walls down to the wood lath and was told to use the setting type so I did after cleaning and wetting the lath and then did two more thin finish coats using the mud in the grey bucket.

I find it frustrating because if you go to USG's website they don't really tell you anything. They have like 20 products and they are all the best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
How does the grey bucket blue lid compared to the other lightweights?

Also, how do they all compare to setting type compound? I noticed USG's setting type compound, which I think is also often called hot mud? seemed to all claim to be lightweight.

I had to patch a hole in one of my plaster walls down to the wood lath and was told to use the setting type so I did after cleaning and wetting the lath and then did two more thin finish coats using the mud in the grey bucket.

I find it frustrating because if you go to USG's website they don't really tell you anything. They have like 20 products and they are all the best thing since sliced bread.
Personally I don't care for the grey bucket. I would say it would probably compares to the bright blue lid in application but I find the blue easier to sand. And the dust control in the gray only works to a point.
The setting compounds (also called hot muds) are the strongest. There are basically 2, Dura Bond which comes in a brown bag. This is considered un-sandable so for home owners I would recommend stay away from it. The other comes in a white bag and is called easy sand. Whice I feel means easier than the non-sandable. These muds can be hard to work with. They are used mainly to fill gaps and problem areas, and by pro's when time is a factor it's used to bury the tape and the first coat. But is then covered with drying mud because the drying mud fills the defects better, is then easier to sand, and the hot muds tend to flash thru the paint and primer because the texture is different.
And I totally agree about there web site.
Hope this answers your questions.

Reactions: cj133

·
Registered
352 Posts
Excellent information!

Am I right in assuming the grey bucket, or any of the blue lids or translucent green lid are fine for skimcoating a plaster wall? Sounds like cracks should be filled with the all purpose green lid, or the hot mud or does it not really matter?

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Excellent information!

Am I right in assuming the grey bucket, or any of the blue lids or translucent green lid are fine for skimcoating a plaster wall? Sounds like cracks should be filled with the all purpose green lid, or the hot mud or does it not really matter?
Yes it matters If the cracks are 1/16" or wider I would use the Easy Sand hot mud to fill and tape, then the light weight to top. If the cracks are smaller I would use the all purpose to tape and coat. Do you know what caused these cracks?
For skim coating I really like the Ultra lite weight, bucket with light green ugly lid. Have found it to work easy and sand easy. Either of the blue lids would also work well it is what I used until the ultra came out.

Reactions: cj133

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes it matters If the cracks are 1/16" or wider I would use the Easy Sand hot mud to fill and tape, then the light weight to top. If the cracks are smaller I would use the all purpose to tape and coat. Do you know what caused these cracks?
For skim coating I really like the Ultra lite weight, bucket with light green ugly lid. Have found it to work easy and sand easy. Either of the blue lids would also work well it is what I used until the ultra came out.
Not sure what caused the cracks other than things moving and settling over the years. House is 150 years old and the walls and ceiling were covered with wallpaper. Plaster seems tight to the lath.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
OK you should be good to go the only other thing I would recommend is use paper tape if you need to tape, not the mesh.

·
Registered
352 Posts
OK you should be good to go the only other thing I would recommend is use paper tape if you need to tape, not the mesh.
Yeah.
I kind of figured out the small wall I just fixed a bunch of cracks on isn't going to last over the past few days from reading things online and then talking to you today.

I used mesh and grey bucket to fix hairline cracks. First time I ever used mesh and I hated it, seemed too hard to get a thin coat over without it showing through. I found tape much much easier to use,not to mention apparently you should never use mesh with premix in the first place.

All well. I'll get it right the second time especially now that I understand the blue lids and translucent ugly lid are only for sitting on top of a solid surface and looking pretty.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Don't beat yourself up over it. Your not the first. If the main problem is the unevenness of it because of the mesh you could skim the wall. If they were just hairline cracks you will be OK.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yeah.
I kind of figured out the small wall I just fixed a bunch of cracks on isn't going to last over the past few days from reading things online and then talking to you today.

I used mesh and grey bucket to fix hairline cracks. First time I ever used mesh and I hated it, seemed too hard to get a thin coat over without it showing through. I found tape much much easier to use,not to mention apparently you should never use mesh with premix in the first place.

All well. I'll get it right the second time especially now that I understand the blue lids and translucent ugly lid are only for sitting on top of a solid surface and looking pretty.
you should never use mesh tape ever!

·
JOATMON
15,254 Posts
Those colored lids you talk of? We don't get them here....

In California....it's a white bucket with red print (some call it red dot) or a cardboard box with red printing (smaller version of the bucket)

Other than that....it's bags...10 min, 40 min or 90 min.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Those colored lids you talk of? We don't get them here....

In California....it's a white bucket with red print (some call it red dot) or a cardboard box with red printing (smaller version of the bucket)

Other than that....it's bags...10 min, 40 min or 90 min.
West Pac products are great! good products. the Red dot is like the green lid USG compound.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts