DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make a access panel for a shower. It is going on the back side of the shower so should not get wet but may be some condensation. It will be 14"x48". It will be standing on end with some kind of quick fasteners holding it in place. Because it will not be fastened except in the corners I am worried about warping. Would MDF work? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
589 Posts
if the wall is covered in drywall, use the piece you cut out. I edge glue some plastic "T" moulding onto it, then screw it into place. you may need to add some screw block inside the studs. I paint it all the same wall color.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Go to HD and get a plastic access panel. Better yet go to a mobil home supplier and they have all different sizes. Just cut the hole put in place and screw along the edges, your all done and they look nice

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
If this is for access to the shower valve, why such a huge panel?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. It is rather large for an access panel, the reason for the size is that in this case it is just easier and provides access to all the pipes. I bought a place one time that had frozen pipes and had to cut a wall out to get to the shower. I was just thinking how nice this would have been.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts