DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, we are putting some sort of house wrap on an old 700 square foot cabin. Which is best Typar or Tyvek? Are staples OK or do we need cap staples/nails?

The carpenter we are considering for the job suggests that Typar and standard staples are fine. The sheathing is old plywood siding from the 1960s. It is now covered with vinyl siding with no house wrap under it. We will be doing the initial work in April/May when we put in windows (reframing needed). The wood siding will go on hopefully in early August.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Naildriver
18,593 Posts
Check the availability and cost of the two. They serve the same purpose providing a WRB. In our area, Tyvek is more common. I would not trust staples alone to hold it on for very long. Use Tyvek tape on all seams and joints. Using button cap nails will give better holding especially in a windy area. Don't forget 6" wide window sealing tape when you go to install your windows and cut back on the WRB so the tape captures not only the Tyvek, but the OSB/existing siding, and the window flange. Newer methods don't wrap Tyvek inside openings.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Our wood siding will be strapped so I'm not sure the caps will be an issue.

chandler48 - If newer methods don't have the Tyvek wrap inside the window openings, should we wait until we are siding to put the Tyvek on?

flyingron - if you are 20 feet from a lake, with trees somewhat blocking does this mean Tyvek or Typar? The summer is humid, but there is likely wind off the lake.

The carpenter suggested strapping the whole building now to help with my concern about the wrap blowing off. The strapping isn't pressure treated so it would be exposed to the elements for 4 months. Is this a good idea?

Thanks again!

·
Naildriver
18,593 Posts
Have you considered the additional depth of strapping the house. You will have to build out your windows and doors. Is the strapping for the installer's convenience or is there another reason you can't apply the siding directly to your OSB?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you considered the additional depth of strapping the house. You will have to build out your windows and doors. Is the strapping for the installer's convenience or is there another reason you can't apply the siding directly to your OSB?
My understanding is the strapping is to make sure the wood siding stays dry. We are installing all new doors and windows so we can strap everything at this point. I agree it would be great to avoid the extra cost. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.