DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Family member has a TV connected to a cable box inside their den. On the outside of the house they installed a smart TV which is connected to a wall mount on the wall outside their den. I believe the contractor only installed an outlet on that wall so no run was made for an HDMI connection. They don't want to have to add an additional cable box. Is there any way to wirelessly connect the outside TV to the cable box inside that den without having to run any cables from the new TV? If there is any hardware that needs to connect to the cable box inside the den that is fine since that won't need to run through any walls. Just wondering if there is any way to accomplish this for the new TV. Not sure of the model TV just yet, can probably get that information later today.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Family member has a TV connected to a cable box inside their den. On the outside of the house they installed a smart TV which is connected to a wall mount on the wall outside their den. I believe the contractor only installed an outlet on that wall so no run was made for an HDMI connection. They don't want to have to add an additional cable box. Is there any way to wirelessly connect the outside TV to the cable box inside that den without having to run any cables from the new TV? If there is any hardware that needs to connect to the cable box inside the den that is fine since that won't need to run through any walls. Just wondering if there is any way to accomplish this for the new TV. Not sure of the model TV just yet, can probably get that information later today.
If they have internet service and the new smart TV has Roku they can get most TV stations through Roku and not need a cable. If the TV isn't equipped with Roku you can add it or use a different brand like Firestick. Others here are WAY more knowledgeable than I so hang around for better options.

·
Naildriver
14,195 Posts
I doubt there is any wireless way to achieve connection between a TV and cable box, but as Mike suggested use an alternative streaming service to get a great deal of internet stuff. Otherwise it is 1" drill time.

Reactions: Mike Milam

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
We’ve just installed a wall-mount TV in a location where there is no practical way to house any equipment or run data cables, so the only connection to the TV is the power cable. Right now we’re just using the Wifi capabilities, which does most of what we want. I have been looking at these units, though, which would enable me to send a signal from a remotely located box (cable, etc.) to the TV.

In the situation that you describe there will be the added complication that the cable box signal will display on both TVs concurrently, and how to control a cable box in another room while watching the outdoor TV.

Chris

·
Naildriver
14,195 Posts
I agree with Chris, if it is CABLE, another cable box is needed for independent channel selection. If it is satellite, another LNB will be needed at the dish as well as another RG cable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We’ve just installed a wall-mount TV in a location where there is no practical way to house any equipment or run data cables, so the only connection to the TV is the power cable. Right now we’re just using the Wifi capabilities, which does most of what we want. I have been looking at these units, though, which would enable me to send a signal from a remotely located box (cable, etc.) to the TV.

In the situation that you describe there will be the added complication that the cable box signal will display on both TVs concurrently, and how to control a cable box in another room while watching the outdoor TV.

Chris
That’s exactly what would probably work, those units you’re looking at. In speaking with the owner who has that setup they don’t care if both TVs change stations at the same time. Thanks so much. I’ll look into those units.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is the Cable box Comcast?
With Comcast, the first 4K TV has the cable box with DVR. All other 4K TV after that are wireless (WiFi) or Ethernet. Comcast will supply the second wireless/ethernet box.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
I'm in the process of cutting the cord so to speak. I put an antenna in the attic for the one in my attached garage and I get 64 channels over the air. Put one in the attic for mom-in-law's TV in her room this morning. It get 70 plus channels which is way more than she needs. $250.00 a month is crazy. I can stream everything I want thru Roku.

Reactions: chandler48

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the Cable box Comcast?
With Comcast, the first 4K TV has the cable box with DVR. All other 4K TV after that are wireless (WiFi) or Ethernet. Comcast will supply the second wireless/ethernet box.
The box is Optimum so guessing that wouldn’t be an option.

·
Challenge Everything!
489 Posts
Depends on the Distance, a simple HDMI Splitter (single in - dual or more out) will work.
Combine that with a Dinky-link for the Remote, and you are good to go.
I have a DirecTV Recorder in one of my Bedrooms, and three TV's connected. I can control the DVR from any Room.
Edit: Yes, each TV can only display the same Channel.
Cheers,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depends on the Distance, a simple HDMI Splitter (single in - dual or more out) will work.
Combine that with a Dinky-link for the Remote, and you are good to go.
I have a DirecTV Recorder in one of my Bedrooms, and three TV's connected. I can control the DVR from any Room.
Edit: Yes, each TV can only display the same Channel.
Cheers,
Can you provide me with links to the exact products you purchased? Thank you.

·
Registered
Home Theater
49 Posts
This used to be so easy back in the day. Little tougher with today's technology and security features.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts