·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project 1:
Wiring a detached Garage as a workshop.

Specs:
Underground PVC and Underground wiring.
In-garage electrical box for easy access.
20A breakers
12AWG wiring
Not sure on lighting specs
12 outlets

Project 2:
Custom built modular electrical box with surge protection.

Outline:
Tired of always running out of outlet space on existing surge protector. I want to build my own as a pass-through in my existing surge protector with toggle switch and pilot light.

Questions:
How many outlets can I use?

Can I match my existing technology and still "have it all"?

Can I build my modular system to "double" my outlets by running two separate lines to the wall outlet?

Lastly, what is the max amount of watts I can put on a 10 / 15A line?

I know, this has happened before but nothing has happened, but I know the total amount of amps and/or watts has been exceeded by having both ceiling fans on, all my technology, and finishing it off with the vacuum.
On my above quote, Am I underestimating the capacity of my line to the breaker or just freaking lucky that I haven't started an electrical fire?

Lastly, my friend continuously uses the pull chain on my neon light in my ceiling fan, instead of using the wall switch. Other than wear and tear on the mechanisms in the fan is leaving the wall switch on and using the pull chain bad for the light? Note: The fan motor is off for the season.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Lastly, what is the max amount of watts I can put on a 10 / 15A line?

On my above quote, Am I underestimating the capacity of my line to the breaker or just freaking lucky that I haven't started an electrical fire?
1-I don't understand your surge question
2-You can have 1800 Watts on a 15a circuit. If you aren't tripping breakers you must not be overloading the circuit.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,831 Posts
On your garage project.

You do know that you are limited to 1 circuit to the detached garage. I ask because you say 20 amp breakers. The 1 circuit can be a MWBC (multi-wire branch circuit). A MWBC requires a 2 pole breaker (or 2 single pole breakers connected with a handle tie).

You need a circuit disconnect in the garage.
Receptacles must be GFCI protected.

Or you can install a sub-panel, a much discussed subject on this board.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, ok quite a few replies.

Kbsparky: I know the vacuum should of tripped the breaker but it didn't. Thats why I said it seems weird that it didn't trip.

a7ecorsair: its gotta be a 10A circuit, its written out as 10,000 MIA, which converts to 10A, right?

I figured on the surge question, its basically I'm jimmy rigging my surge protector to light switches with pilot lights. I'm using standard household outlets to branch off the surge protector in my holding box.

rjniles: It is a sub-panel that will be in the garage. With 20A circuit lines for everything.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have to go for now...

But if it is mA or milliamps, then 10,000 would = 10 amps.

I've not heard the term "mia" before. This seems to be mentioned in old electrical books, but I can't find anything which says mia is mA????

Another possiblility is that the OP is from another country, uses a different language, and there mA is called "mia"???

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Wow, ok quite a few replies.

a7ecorsair: its gotta be a 10A circuit, its written out as 10,000 MIA, which converts to 10A, right?
No, I bethca you do not have 10 amp breaker in stateside at all and the 10,000 MIA more like Max inturpeting amps which it stand for for short circuit max level it can protected anything higher can blow the breaker apart.

Most resdentail do not have that high a short circuit rating unless you are close to commeral / industrial feeders then the AIC rating do go up to 22,000 which that is next level. but not to worry about it too much at the moment due the new load centres main breaker are rated for 10/22 KIA

Now for other project really IMO the best way you can deal with this is useing the subpanel so you have more circuit capacity than just a single MWBC can handle it { it ok for basic useage but once you get alot of power tools or whatever then go with subpanel }

The subpanel been talked pretty often so search it it will come up a bit with this.

Merci,
Marc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts