DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. Two outlets stopped working today. One is behind the refrigerator, and the other one is across the wall in the dining room (not directly on the other side of the refrigerator, but rather across the wall on the side of the refrigerator, about 8 feet away ---the outlets are on the same main wall, with a smaller wall running perpendicular between refrigerator and dining room). How does an outlet stop working? Is this a fire hazard? Do I need to get it fixed? I plugged the refrigerator into a different outlet and it's fine, and the other outlet was just used for a lamp and an answering machine, and I've plugged those into a strip with my computer at another outlet. I am low on money so I hoped I could avoid calling in an electrician if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Buy 2 new electrical outlets and replace both of them. There is a good chance that 1 of them is daisy chained from the other, and that one has some sort of internal damage.

·
Naildriver
13,431 Posts
Electricity 101. Have you checked the fuse/breaker to this run? Do that before you go replacing things. If it is a breaker, it may not "look" tripped. Turn it all the way off then on. Let us know.

·
Registered
636 Posts
First, the fridge circuit should be a separate 20a, so something's not right there if it has other receptacles on it. Second, it shouldn't be, and isn't required to be by Code, a GFCI, since unknown tripping would cause loss of contents. Third, you don't plug a fridge into "another" receptacle - see "First" above.

·
Super Moderator
14,982 Posts
First, the fridge circuit should be a separate 20a, so something's not right there if it has other receptacles on it. Second, it shouldn't be, and isn't required to be by Code, a GFCI, since unknown tripping would cause loss of contents. Third, you don't plug a fridge into "another" receptacle - see "First" above.
The NEC allows the refrigerator on the small appliance branch circuits. It would be rare for a dedicated circuit to be called for.

Gfi protection is for life safety not the food inside which can be replaced. Gfi protection is required for some refrigerators.

Perhaps the OP meant downstream of the receptacle.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The NEC allows the refrigerator on the small appliance branch circuits. It would be rare for a dedicated circuit to be called for.
NEC is minimum - best practice is to put fridge on it's own circuit w/o GFCI.

And if that other receptacle is in the dining room and not even on same wall as fridge (through wall powered), it's not part of the small appliance circuit right ?

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
NEC is minimum - best practice is to put fridge on it's own circuit w/o GFCI.
The dedicated circuit removes the possibility that some other device might trip the circuit. But eliminating the GFCI is questionable. A refrigerator that trips a GFCI usually has a ground fault that is correctable. People that don’t have the GFCI, don’t notice the ground fault until it gets bad enough to shock them.

Commercial kitchens are required to have GFCIs on all refrigerators/freezers.

And if that other receptacle is in the dining room and not even on same wall as fridge (through wall powered), it's not part of the small appliance circuit right ?
The dining room is the one place you can extend an SABC too. Or you power the dinning room receptacles as “another SABC”.

Edit: Don’t forget that AFCI can trip that dedicated fridge circuit.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
First check for tripped breaker as suggested. Next check for tripped GFI outlet. Next remove the outlets and check for "back stabbed" outlet.

Outlets and switches have "quick connect" holes in the back. These make wiring fast and easy. However using them can develop poor connections over time. If you find the quick connections holes were used, move wires to the screw terminal.

From you description this is quite likely the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts