DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 120v plug in hot tub with a GFCI in the wall receptacle. Hot tub has a GFCI inside with reset and test button.

Recently the hot tub has been shutting off every day or two. Wall plug GFCI does not trip and green lite is always on.

Hot tub GFCI is the culprit. I can reset, altho it might take 2 or 3 attempts for the hot tub to go on. It is a Tower Mfr Corp #3033 6-0 2708. 1875 watt and 15 amp.

Hot tub installed in 2010 and worked fine until recently ? Do the two GFCI units interfere with each other....or is the Tower unit the problem ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Having 2 GFI's in line is not needed as long as they are wired correctly. Anything wired to the LOAD side of the GFCI is protected, it it is wired to the LINE side, it is not protected. The power will be coming into the LINE side.

When you say "Hot Tub" are you referring to a whirlpool bath tub? If so, I believe that needs to be on it's own circuit and not spun off from an existing circuit.

Regardless, since it was working fine until recently, I would think that something within the wiring of the "hot tub" has changed or that the GFI near it has gone bad.

As long as the other GFI is close to the "Hot Tub". you should be able to remove the faulty GFI and just use that one.

But, I would wait until the experts come by and correct any mistakes I may have made.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hot tub is an outdoor spa. Don't have an option to remove either GFCI.

Thanks for the replies....so far.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I suspect moisture has built up in the GFI of the hot tub and possibly mold growth that is causing a trickle of fault current to ground. I doesn't take much to get it close to the trip threshold.
That makes the GFI more sensitive to line voltage fluctuations like what happens when a motor load kicks on. Replace it with a new one and you should continue to be safe.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
In fact, having two GFCI's on a pool or spa circuit might even be a good idea. My grandpa told me to never put all my eggs in one basket. :wink2:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spa was off this afternoon. Pressing inside spa reset did no good. Tried 4-5 times. Dedicated wall receptacle GFCI was not tripped, green light on. Anyway, I pulled the spa plug out of the wall....waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in. Spa clicked on and is running. I could buy the spa GFCI and install it myself....but I won't. Have a call in for spa/pool contractor to do the job. Thanks for the replies.....

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,902 Posts
In fact, having two GFCI's on a pool or spa circuit might even be a good idea. My grandpa told me to never put all my eggs in one basket. :wink2:
Surf...... By chance,,,,did your grandpa own a basket manufacturing company??? :wink2:

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,902 Posts
Spa was off this afternoon. Pressing inside spa reset did no good. Tried 4-5 times. Dedicated wall receptacle GFCI was not tripped, green light on. Anyway, I pulled the spa plug out of the wall....waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in. Spa clicked on and is running. I could buy the spa GFCI and install it myself....but I won't. Have a call in for spa/pool contractor to do the job. Thanks for the replies.....
Cedrus....Your call...I understand.... but GFI's especially under moist conditions wear out/fail quite regularily over the years.

Good luck

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spa guy installed new GFCI inside tub....left the other one in wall alone. Tub works fine now. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts