DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Just new to the forum and looking for some advice. I have two separate issues on two different walls in our house and wondering what best way to go about fixing them. First is a dining room wall. I hope the pictures are clear for you to see. It had wallpaper on it and we decided to remove the wallpaper and just paint the wall. After removing the wallpaper the inside corner has some major cracks. There actually is quite a bit of a void behind this corner also. I want to correct this the best possible way. I am assuming the void runs the length of the wall because the bottom crack I can put a knife in just like the top. So, questions are: 1. Should I remove the whole inside corner and re tape and mud? If so, can I just use all purpose joint compound for the whole project or do I need a special setting compound to fill in the void first. What would you do?

The next wall is in our basement. It might be hard to see in the picture, but along a butt seam from floor to ceiling the drywall is protruding out. There is not a crack in the wall though, it is just protruding out along the seam enough to really notice it. It was like this when we bought the house 20 years ago and it has never gotten any worse. I am pretty sure it is not a foundation issue but possibly the wall stud was warped when the house was framed or maybe it got wet somehow and warped. Anyway, what would you do? Would you try to skim coat it on either side? I think it would take quite a bit to do that, maybe 6 feet on either side. Or, would you open it up to see for sure and replace the stud if needed be?

Shoot, I just noticed the pictures are not rotated. Hot sure how to correct that right now. Sorry.

Thanks for any advice,

John

Attachments

·
retired painter
10,985 Posts
The corner needs to be retaped. The basement wall is mostly a defect in the framing but you can float that joint out further on each side to make it less noticeable. Regular premixed j/c is fine for all aspects of the job.

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
I learned a cheat for that hump in the wall.
I started by using the level to mark out the areas that needed 1/8" or more so I ended up with a map where i could just slap on the first coat and then check it with the level to make sure i didn't have to much.

And then with coats after that i checked with a level to make sure I was not just creating a sanding job.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark and Neal. I just needed some encouragement on that. I will proceed.

Take care,

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts