DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I am going to need a bigger portable generator at some point, so want to plan ahead for that possibility.

The devices that the cord from the generator plugs into are rated 30A or 50A (and maybe higher). Even though my current generator only needs a 30A, is there any reason, other than higher cost, not to go ahead and install a 50A plug-in now?

Also are all 50A 4 prong, and if not, is this important?

BTW, these types seems to me a good design from standpoint of minimizing stress on the socket (from the weight of the cord), and rain proofing. Any thoughts? Advantages/disadvantages?
Gas Fixture Machine Aluminium Metal
Street light Electronic device Technology Cable Automotive lighting

·
Registered
Electrical apprentice
399 Posts
I think I am going to need a bigger portable generator at some point, so want to plan ahead for that possibility.

The devices that the cord from the generator plugs into are rated 30A or 50A (and maybe higher). Even though my current generator only needs a 30A, is there any reason, other than higher cost, not to go ahead and install a 50A plug-in now?

Also are all 50A 4 prong, and if not, is this important?

BTW, these types seems to me a good design from standpoint of minimizing stress on the socket (from the weight of the cord), and rain proofing. Any thoughts? Advantages/disadvantages? View attachment 673542 View attachment 673543
How big of a generator are you thinking? 30A can be provided from as little as 7200W and you’d need at least 12 000 to produce 50A. You’d need a number 8 copper feed to carry 50A and are you feeding it through a generator disconnect? If so what is the rating of disconnect?

·
Electrician
412 Posts
There's no reason not to go ahead and install the 50 amp inlet. You'll just need to make a "custom" cord for your generator to plug into the inlet. Because your generator has a 30 amp receptacle you'll need a 30 amp cord end on one end and the 50 amp that will mate with the inlet on the other end.

#8 or #6 (whatever is required by code in your area) from the inlet to the interlock or transfer switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts