DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm going to leave an opening on the outside edge of my tv wall with a metal shelf that slides out using the sliders attached in the photo. I'll be putting my surround sound receiver on it. How would I go about creating a sturdy frame to add the shelf? Any ideas or examples would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

Attachments

·
Naildriver
12,171 Posts
Doing as Neal suggests will give your shelving and drawer glides something to run on and good support. In looking at this unit, I only have one observation.....how will you move it into position into another room? This puppy is BIG.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
If you're completely boxing in the AVR, I'd go 10" high at a minimum to prevent overheating. Also, some of the newer ones are 8-9" tall.

Reactions: bigtime68

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doing as Neal suggests will give your shelving and drawer glides something to run on and good support. In looking at this unit, I only have one observation.....how will you move it into position into another room? This puppy is BIG.
The sides are going to come off leaving an 8'x8' frame, which will just barely fit through my front door tilted at an angle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're completely boxing in the AVR, I'd go 10" high at a minimum to prevent overheating. Also, some of the newer ones are 8-9" tall.
I'm not going to enclose the top. Also, the right side faces my wall which is where the slide out shelves will go. I don't plan to enclose that side either since it won't be visible based on my room configuration. With the right side and top open, I wouldn't think overheating would be an issue.

·
Naildriver
12,171 Posts
You may want to remeasure. Nothing 8' in dimension will fit through a 6'8" opening, even at an angle. Take a diagonal measurement of the doorway first.

Edit: Unless you have double doors. Didn't think of that.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts

I'm not going to enclose the top. Also, the right side faces my wall which is where the slide out shelves will go. I don't plan to enclose that side either since it won't be visible based on my room configuration. With the right side and top open, I wouldn't think overheating would be an issue.
Should be fine then. It's mostly the top that needs air in my experience.

I messed up on my custom rack and only gave my Onkyo 2 1/4" clearance up top. Even with the back semi-open and the left completely open it wasn't enough. It's only pushing 7.1 Boston's and it overheats and shuts down occasionally :/

20200305_003915.jpg

Also, I really need to get the air hose in here and dust 'er off lol

Reactions: bigtime68

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's my finished project:

I've got my slide out shelves to the far right opening, one for Xbox and another for my surround sound receiver. Not much of a need to ever slide them out as the remote works when they're behind the wall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts