DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my fluorescent kitchen light has these weird tombstones that are crumbling and breaking on one side. Where can I find these? Or I would appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks! Photo Jul 21, 12 28 53 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 21, 12 29 00 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 21, 12 29 25 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 21, 3 55 34 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 21, 3 55 41 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 21, 3 56 33 PM.jpg

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Any big box or electrical supply store should have them. Bring it with you when you go, there are different types and sizes. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Another option i can offer if it's doable to you; Would be to replace that old energy hog style florescent light with a new ballast free led efficient light. They are available at any big box or amazon for about 30 dollars. It will last over 30 years. Very bright only uses 5 watts of power that old one you got there is using over 150watts. Only needs hot, neutral and ground wires, runs on regular 120 v power. available in 4ft to cover your old one. Just a suggestion.

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
Attempt #3 to get this posted. The website is doing great this evening!

Those are not rare but you'll not find them at hardware stores or home centers. Try a real lighting supply shop or electrical supplier. And of course there's always Amazon and other online sellers. Search for "split pin fluorescent lampholder" and locate the ones which match your lamp type and have a spring.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hi my fluorescent kitchen light has these weird tombstones that are crumbling and breaking on one side. Where can I find these? Or I would appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks! View attachment 528509

Actually HD online for shipping has 48 different flavors of those though the price is better at the site rjniles posted. https://www.homedepot.com/s/split%2520pin%2520fluorescent%2520lampholder?NCNI-5

For all the LED tubes I have looked at there is very little savings over a standard fluorescent for the exact same amount of lumens when one factors in cost of the unit, hours of life and lumen output.

Perhaps there are some but I have not seen them yet.

Reactions: Mikekenny86

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another option i can offer if it's doable to you; Would be to replace that old energy hog style florescent light with a new ballast free led efficient light. They are available at any big box or amazon for about 30 dollars. It will last over 30 years. Very bright only uses 5 watts of power that old one you got there is using over 150watts. Only needs hot, neutral and ground wires, runs on regular 120 v power. available in 4ft to cover your old one. Just a suggestion.

Ahh this is what I have been really wanting to do but always chickened out at figuring out converting the current fixture to LED....So would truly appreciate any easy to install LED fixtures...:glasses:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
WOW you rock! I could get these for the interim but you have any easy to install LED light fixtures to recommend then that would be great too - Thanks!

I have several of these throughout the house in garage, and laundry room.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-FMLWL-48-840-4-ft-White-LED-Flushmount-Wraparound-Light-FMLWL-48-840/205570126

if you don't mind a little re-wirng work, another option you can do is use ballast bypass 4ft leds and convert all your old flouresant lights to new leds that run on 120v ac. I did this for my basement/shop room. Come with everything you need just follow instructions on box. Throw away that old energy hog ballast and upgrade your current fixture. Just a couple suggestions.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/toggled-48-in-Universal-Voltage-T8-T12-16-Watt-5000k-Daylight-Linear-LED-Tube-Light-Bulb-E416-50310/300617201?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-302327728-_-300617201-_-N

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,818 Posts
Thanks. Could you explain in some detail as to what needs to happen? Any DIY videos to share?
Using direct wire, dual ended power LED tubes:

Does not matter if tombstones are shunted or not.
(Note if you use single ended powered tubes, you must have unshunted tombstones.)

Turn off power disconnected the input 120 VAC to the ballast.

Remove the ballast cover.

Cut off all the ballast wires close to the ballast

Remove the ballast or abandon in place.

Connect all the yellow wires from 1 end of the fixture to the white neutral wire. Use wire nut.

Connect all the red/blue wires from the other end of the fixture to the black hot wire. Use wire nut.

Reinstall the ballast cover.

Install the new LEDs

Turn on power

Here are the last batch of tubes I bought, $5.20 each in 10 quanity.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-100-PACK-LED-G13-4FT-4-Foot-T8-Tube-Light-Bulbs-18W-4000K-MILKY-Frosted-LENS/263585698179?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=562638829619&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Reactions: Mikekenny86

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So got the above, but now it seems like it is not the same or am making some rookie mistake. It has a bar kind of thing in the upper slots where i would plug in the second cable:crying:....Any ideas anybody? Photo Aug 05, 7 37 31 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 05, 7 37 24 PM.jpg

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
It has a bar kind of thing in the upper slots where i would plug in the second cable
Your original lampholders were not shunted and the short loop of wire was used to connect both contacts. The new lampholders are already shunted (that is the bridging device you are describing here) so that loop isn't necessary. Remove the loop and you'll have the contacts free to connect the other conductors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your original lampholders were not shunted and the short loop of wire was used to connect both contacts. The new lampholders are already shunted (that is the bridging device you are describing here) so that loop isn't necessary. Remove the loop and you'll have the contacts free to connect the other conductors.

Thanks Fish! Will try that soon and update...On the old ones, I did try the multimeter (without any wires) and it did make a noise so I figured they were shunted....but i guess not!

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,818 Posts
Either the tubes are bad or you wired them wrong. Trade positions and see if is the tubes or ballasts. I thought you were going with LED.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts