DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Naildriver
20,097 Posts
The unit works off evaporation and cooling of the coils, so preventing air from circulating may not in your best interest. What do you consider "strong winds"?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you consider "strong winds"?
Wind, that blow away empty cement bags and plastic foam.

The unit will be happy to get strong winds, it helps it cool down the coils
Even when wind blow into fan?

This my pedestal for outdoor unit.
I cant put it to another place due to short pipes.

I used 8 bricks and 7 bags of concrete.
Property Window Wood Grass Wall

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You can face it any direction you want as long as you maintain the clearances specified in the manual.
For example many mini splits require around 24" clearance to the front of the unit, it looks like you have that so it should work fine.
But do something to protect the rear of the coil from damage.

·
Registered
15,465 Posts
Wind, that blow away empty cement bags and plastic foam.

Even when wind blow into fan?

This my pedestal for outdoor unit.
I cant put it to another place due to short pipes.

I used 8 bricks and 7 bags of concrete.
View attachment 712760
Face the arrow on top of the ac away from the house. (fan side)

Is there another house or trees in that direction? If so and not a far way away, then it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You need to face it so the fan blows in the same direction as the wind, not opposite. Wind coming out from the front grate. This way will help with cooling.
Fig 4.2 from manual shows that.
If the wind is really strong might damage the unit, so the 90 rotate positions might work better, like shown in manual.

·
Registered
15,465 Posts
You need to face it so the fan blows in the same direction as the wind, not opposite. Wind coming out from the front grate. This way will help with cooling.
Fig 4.2 from manual shows that.
If the wind is really strong might damage the unit, so the 90 rotate positions might work better, like shown in manual.
To don't want to have it blowing towards the house or any other blockages. If it's at ground level, there isn't much worry unless it's an open field.

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,666 Posts
Make the wind work in your favor. Simply turn it around (leaving good clearance for access and maintenance between the house and unit) and let the prevailing "strong" wind assist the internal fan rather than blow against it.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Make the wind work in your favor. Simply turn it around (leaving good clearance for access and maintenance between the house and unit) and let the prevailing "strong" wind assist the internal fan rather than blow against it.
For wind blowing through the coil, too much can be a bad thing. These units normally operate with a “target” pressure, and ramp the outdoor fan accordingly.
Wind baffles are a popular OEM accessory for places like airports and wide open rooftops where constant wind can be problematic to the units operation.

·
Registered
15,465 Posts
For wind blowing through the coil, too much can be a bad thing. These units normally operate with a “target” pressure, and ramp the outdoor fan accordingly.
Wind baffles are a popular OEM accessory for places like airports and wide open rooftops where constant wind can be problematic to the units operation.
Or in our case, any wind when cooling is needed when it's cold.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts