DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to remove a turbine vent and replace it with a large low-profile static vent (let's not go into the reasons here). While checking from the attic side, it appears to be at least partially secured by screws. So, my question is: how to best deal with the screws?

Should I try to cut them off flush with the shingles and seal over them (if so, is tri-polymer better or asphalt roofing cement)? Mark the locations and re-use them to hold down the static vent? (My thought is to lay the vent in, and tap nails up through the screw holes from underneath, thus slightly dimpling the flashing, then drilling the flashing). If reusing the screws & locations, I guess the need to seal is even more pronounced after running them back & forth through the shingles & felt...

If I'm careful, can I just leave the screw holes and seal over/around them using sealant on the bottom of the static vent's flashing and by working it up underneath the lower course of shingles?

Other options?

Thanks in advance!

·
RFN-4A-LVN
981 Posts
I would not recommend just removing the turbine body and installing a vent over the turbine flashing.(Your description of removal) When replacing/adding in place of existing ventilation components IMO the shingles with any nail/screw holes should be replaced.

I highly recommend measuring the diameter of the existing hole then compare to the new component that you are installing.

Most of the turbines have a larger ventilation hole than a regular slant back or RV51.

I would NOT install a smaller vent over a larger hole.

1.Measure the existing diameter and compare with the new vent.

2.Remove shingles above and beside the turbine.( I would remove full shingles rather than single tabs if no arch's)

3.Remove the fasteners then turbine.(screws/nails)

4.Remove all shingles affected by the fasteners below the turbine.

5.Install new vent and shingles around it.(providing the diameter matches existing)

6.Seal exposed nail heads and flashing.

It might not be necessary to seal the flashing depending on vent type.I feel better sealing the flashing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry if I didn't give enough clarity. I'm completely removing the turbine and replacing it with a 144-NFA vent, so I will be enlarging the hole (I do know not to put a smaller vent over a larger hole, though that cannot always be assumed of all DIYers :wink:).

Thanks for the feedback - it's pretty much what I was working out on my own since I started the thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts