DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
bsa_bob
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good way[as i haven't found one in 50 years,to seal up a used tube of silicone ,roof caulk whatever,So it doesn't dry inside the tube,
Sad part of this is i never use a complete tube --well hardly ever--and am tired of wasting it.'I have tried bolts screws ,golf tees,wire nuts, if i cut the nozzel to far, i've tried a pencil even.
Certainly somebody here has had this little but aggravating woe please anything you have on this that works.make my life better for the last half, very perplexing thank you loads :wallbash::hang::001_unsure:

·
Super Moderator
12,372 Posts
Well if you figure it out be sure be sure to let us know.

I buy caulking cases at a time and have thrown away plenty. I’ve tried all of the above but after a couple of weeks there’s no guarantee.

I usually stick a screw in it and if you pull the screw straight out it will usually bring most of the dried blob with it.

·
fabrk8r
849 Posts
I use the rubber plugs from the ends of new copper refrigerant suction lines. They have a hole that is just the right size for the cut end of the caulk tube. It seals it so well that the caulk/silicone/duct sealer usually starts to set up from pusher end first.

If I don't have a plug handy I use a piece aluminum duct tape. It's a pain to get off though.

·
bsa_bob
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the rubber plugs from the ends of new copper refrigerant suction lines. They have a hole that is just the right size for the cut end of the caulk tube. It seals it so well that the caulk/silicone/duct sealer usually starts to set up from pusher end first.

If I don't have a plug handy I use a piece aluminum duct tape. It's a pain to get off though.
Now may i ask what does a refrig line plug look like i was a plumber and worked with a lot of a/c men and never even noticed those plugs.tape seems to be preferred as upposed to bolts.A person mentioned i'd be a millionare if i could come up with a sealer for these tubes, i have had so many of them if i started looking for a cure, they would still bury me and not have a cure, All kidding asdie -wish i could think of a cure for dried up sealants thanks bob s

·
fabrk8r
849 Posts
They are basically a rubber grommet, about an inch long with a shoulder on one end and a hole that doesn't go all the way through. They vary in size depending on the size of the copper line.

·
bsa_bob
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are basically a rubber grommet, about an inch long with a shoulder on one end and a hole that doesn't go all the way through. They vary in size depending on the size of the copper line.

I DO have some of these !!in my rubber fitting drawers,thank you very much for taking the time to post a picture for me. i'm off to see the wizard.....eeeerrrr ---.off to search the rubber parts drawer in the garage
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Once opened, the life expectancy of caulk is about 3-4 months. Cap it with whatever you want.

·
bsa_bob
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i guess i'm trying to save a dieing horse.I was looking more towards saving it indefintely or least a year.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I usually just cap it with a long nail and wrap the tube completely with saran wrap held on by rubber bands. It seems to last longer, but even then make plans to use it or you'll forget its on the shelf.

·
Super Moderator
9,184 Posts
Somewhere in the past, on another forum, some guy made a device the looked like a wire nut, with a peice coming from the center to insert into the tube.

http://www.caulksaver.com/

·
Super Moderator
12,372 Posts
Got to love America, spend two bucks in hopes of saving one.

·
bsa_bob
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah i've had to work for most evrything i ever had which is considerable.If i can save a buck thats what i intend to do. My alcoholic druggie brother says i'm cheap. But what the h___ do these kinda guys know.:laughing: right thanks for your help my friend bob s

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
I often 'save up' caulking projects so I can use up an entire tube. Same with the occasional can of spray foam.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Well i guess i'm trying to save a dieing horse.I was looking more towards saving it indefintely or least a year.
Instead of putting the time and money into saving the caulk, try putting the effort into seeing other places you can use the open caulk before you open it. Going around the house in cooler weather, from top to bottom, will give you a list of sealants needed. Break it up by color and material.
Next time you need caulk for a current project, check the list for other places that caulk could be used and use it there.
This provides 2 things.
1. You get to do an overview of the house and make another list of things to do.
and
2. Find places where you can use the unused caulk.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I take a piece of rubber hose that will fit tightly, but well up onto the spout and about 4-5 inches long, push it onto the cut end of the tube, then squeeze the lever until the silicone comes out the end of the hose.... thats it. It will keep far better that way than any other way I have ever tried. After the caulk cures inside the hose my new "cap" is even reusable.

·
bsa_bob
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Instead of putting the time and money into saving the caulk, try putting the effort into seeing other places you can use the open caulk before you open it. Going around the house in cooler weather, from top to bottom, will give you a list of sealants needed. Break it up by color and material.
Next time you need caulk for a current project, check the list for other places that caulk could be used and use it there.
This provides 2 things.
1. You get to do an overview of the house and make another list of things to do.
and
2. Find places where you can use the unused caulk.

Great idea -I amfixit-- didn't cross my mind as such.:thumbsup:

Ron i'll try that and see what happens thanks for your help:thumbsup:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Somewhere in the past, on another forum, some guy made a device the looked like a wire nut, with a peice coming from the center to insert into the tube.

http://www.caulksaver.com/
that product looks worthy, for tubes that are half full or more. you'd have to buy a bunch and cut half of them for the rest of the tubes that aren't full enough to fit that thing inside. but i like the idea behind it and for the amount of caulk i've wasted, it'd be worth it if it actually worked.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have found that the simplest, most effective methoid of reseal is to cut the tube for that the smallest hole possible. After use, insert a 16D nail---stainless or galvanized--- and tape the nail and opening with electrical tape.
It will still set up but nearly all tube caulk has an "unopened shelf life":(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts