DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tub spout has fell off and now I have spent countless dollars trying to purchase a replacement but none of them work! I have old piping which is probably why none of the universal ones work. If you could help me find a tub spout with diverted that fits this piping, I’m eternally grateful!!
From wall to nipple: 3 inches
Diameter: 1.25”

I’ll post pics of my exposed pipe and my old tub spout in case any one will recognize it
Hand Rectangle Finger Wood Bumper

Tap Plumbing fixture Sink Fluid Household hardware

Automotive tire Wood Rim Circle Automotive wheel system

·
retired framer
63,353 Posts
ive seen these in my search. The problem with them is that on my old spiut, the threading is on the outside and not in the inside of the inner pipe of the spout. That’s the one I’m really struggling to find
I would only be guessing so hopefully some one will be along that knows what you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This looks like what you have.
View attachment 693079
But is not one I have seen before.
ive seen these in my search. The problem with them is that on my old spiut, the threading is on the outside and not in the inside of the inner pipe of the spout. That’s the one I’m really sr
I would only be guessing so hopefully some one will be along that knows what you need.
thank you for trying to help🙏

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you need to remove the gray color plastic nipple at the wall. That is a piece of the spout's guts that broke off. Try turning the hex portion at the wall counterclockwise after you remove some of the joint compound around it. It should come unscrew.
I just tried to and it seems stuck, it’s turning but it’s not coming off. It seems to just be spinning in place. Any tips on how I can get it off?

·
Registered
675 Posts
On the link to Plumbing Supply, near the bottom of ad, they show 'universal' tub spout with expanded diagram with pink and blue. Looks like some of those parts might work for you.
Did you take your spout to a big plumbing supply store. Sometimes those people can hand you just what you need.
Also note that an Allen wrench might be needed to remove and replace.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I just tried to and it seems stuck, it’s turning but it’s not coming off. It seems to just be spinning in place. Any tips on how I can get it off?
Then may be instead of a nipple that the spout threaded onto, you have a stubout with a slip on connector. In that case you should see a set screw. Try turning it and see if you see any recessed screw along the plastic shaft, usually it is a hex screw that you back out then pull out the shaft.

Although it is highly unusual for it not to be a threaded connection if that plastic thing has "flats" on the sides so that you can tighten or loosen.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yep like miamicuse said. Dig around the hex screw that got buried at the wall under the joint compound. Then maybe try to turn the hex screw to remove it. .
Then you can use the spout shown in #4 by nealtw.
When you install new one, don't tighten it agressively. Just snug it up. I have had to replace plastic plumbing parts because the original installer basically caused the break because he over tightened. And the part had an o-ring and over tightening was uncalled for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts