DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Center/large wall: is 2x4 exterior wall. So no niches there :(

Left wall (opposite of plumbing wall) has a vent that is limited to how much it could be altered. Existing vent drawn in white, could maybe be jogged over (yellow) at 42" height (must clear a flood rim+6")

Right wall (shower head etc...) anything goes, starting from scratch there.

Narrowed it down to a few ideas. Any ideas for improving the layout?

I'm a bit torn between to two major choices on the plumbing wall, centered vs tall skinny offset.

Equally torn about the other wall. It would be nice (and doesn't seem to look too bad) to have the tall skinny one, plus possibly a wider one up top. That way there's some storage room at bath level.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
12,100 Posts
Why more than one niche to hold shampoo and soap? Anything else will get wet. Every niche will present itself to have a propensity to leak, unless sealed well and it will be a tiling nightmare, and more expensive since you have to buy bull nose tile. I'm just not a fan of all the holes in the wall. One will suffice if tall and wide enough.

Some of my clients prefer external shelves of the tile we use on the wall, which are easy to install, don't leak, and clean easily. Just some thoughts before you begin.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why more than one niche to hold shampoo and soap? Anything else will get wet. Every niche will present itself to have a propensity to leak, unless sealed well and it will be a tiling nightmare, and more expensive since you have to buy bull nose tile. I'm just not a fan of all the holes in the wall. One will suffice if tall and wide enough.

Some of my clients prefer external shelves of the tile we use on the wall, which are easy to install, don't leak, and clean easily. Just some thoughts before you begin.
I'm thinking one niche per wall, at the most. Just threw a million up there to see if any particular locations inspired any ideas. It would be nice to have a choice where to put stuff.

I'll be using Wedi substrate. I'm pretty confident I can pull off a niche :) Here's a pic of the last one I did. Yup, it can be a PITA...

For now, I'm thinking niches are better than shelves. Maybe I'll eventually throw a corner shelf into the accent strip. But that can be decided later. Niches should be decided/blocked out before the wallboard goes up.

Attachments

·
Naildriver
12,100 Posts
Niches in the neighborhood of 12 -14" are practical. Taller than that, you've got wasted space and labor. I guess some folks have more to put in them than I would....bar of soap, shampoo.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I grew up in a full house, so "can't have enough space" is my instinct. Easier to have and not need, than the other way around, etc... On my own, I agree, one normal niche if that, works fine.

At least I've got it down to a max of one per wall. Also, the normal (not tall and skinny one) centered under the shower head seems to be the safest bet after I had some time to think. That sound about right?

·
Naildriver
12,100 Posts
The one under the shower head will get the most splash back and will tend to melt your soap quicker. I like the back wall, since it is on an interior wall and wouldn't get too wet. Maybe a couple back there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe keep bar soaps on the back wall one, and bottle goods on the front wall.

Shelves might get moved around, but here is what I've narrowed it down to. Somehow the tall skinny front one made it back. The more traditional sized one could move higher depending on how I do the accent strip.

Each horizontal line is spaced 12" (to help plan into tile layout), and the tub is 14" tall if that helps with guessing heights of stuff. Vertical lines represent space allocated for a glass door/curtain/etc...

I may have been numbed to it, so does the tall skinny niche on the valve wall look odd? It would help with the hand shower placement.

Also, not too sure where to locate the hand shower elbow or if I should splurge on a bar with an integrated water elbow. The model I am looking at does have this as an option.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts