DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I hope you are doing well. This is my first post. I'm a brand new home-owner and I am trying to do projects myself.

I have a tub drain on the 2nd floor that leaks. It does not leak when:
- someone takes a shower.
- I just run the tub faucet.
- I put a simple stopper over the drain and fill the tub full (as opposed to pulling the lever stopper that is installed).

It does leak immediately when:

- I pull the lever stopper. It leaks regardless of how much water is in the tub.
- If I filled the tub using a simple rubber stopper over the drain - it leaks once I pull that rubber stopper.

Any suggestions where I should start.

Thanks a bunch,
Mark

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
The stopper lever controls a plug several inches below the top of the tub drain.

The hole is in that section of drain pipe above the plug and positioned so a small flow of water does not leak out.

When you put a stopper manually at the top of the drain, water does not go down into the leaky section of pipe. When you pull up the stopper the deluge of water going down is a big enough volume so some will leak out.

Open up the ceiling under the tub drain and inspect the drain pipe.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Wait a minute !!!

Don't go tearing up any ceilings just yet.

What do you mean it "leaks"?

It leaks to where?

Do you mean the water bypasses the internal stopper and the tub drains. Or do you mean water is leaking out of the pipe somewhere and damaging the surroundings.

Those (internal) stoppers are easily adjustable and you don't have to open up ceilings and walls to correct the problem. In fact you can't get to the problem through a ceiling or wall if it is only trickling past the stopper and not leaking out of the pipe.

So which is it?:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bud,

I mean the water is leaking out of the pipe and damaging the ceiling below. Best I could tell from inspecting it (the ceiling below had an access point) is that it seems that the leak comes from right were the plumbing meets the bottom of the tub at the drain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts