DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I could really use some help. I have a new tub diverter spout that I am trying to put on. The pipe is copper, not threaded. The new spout is threaded on the inside. The original tub spout was attached via a threaded plastic adapter that goes over the copper pipe. So, I am reusing that adapter. The plastic adapter, which is like a small tube that goes over the copper (see picture below), has a metal ring that goes over it to hold the plastic tube in place. The metal ring has a screw that holds it in place in an opening in the plastic housing. The screw that goes into the metal ring has no washer, so it would seem like water could come out where the screw attaches. Sure enough, when i put the plastic adapter piece over the copper against the wall, and put the metal ring on with the screw, water drips out of where the screw goes in when I turn the water on. A picture of the metal ring and the plastic piece that the metal ring is screwed into can be seen in the picture. That is not my exact item, but the 2 bottom left pieces are what I am talking about (the plastic white piece and the metal ring/screw).

It's the 2 bottom left pieces.

I don't understand how this can work. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I watched that same video, and that seems to be what I am doing (except that my plastic piece is not threaded on the side that hits the wall). I've realized that the copper pipe goes a good way into the long plastic tube piece, so the water must be coming out of the copper pipe, and then when there is resistance (like when the diverter is set for shower), the water pressure must be pushing water back to where it is leaking out of the screw area. I was able to pull out the parts that make up that plastic tube. There are 2 o-rings in it. They looked OK, but maybe they are not OK. Is the o-ring supposed to keep the water from getting back behind where the water is coming out of the copper pipe?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One additional question. The video showed plumbers tape being applied to the plastic threaded piece that attaches to the threaded tub spout. I did not use that as I read yes and no when looking up whether plumbers tape should be used for plastic fittings. Could the fact that I did not use the plumbers tape be the reason that I am having the leak?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
One additional question. The video showed plumbers tape being applied to the plastic threaded piece that attaches to the threaded tub spout. I did not use that as I read yes and no when looking up whether plumbers tape should be used for plastic fittings. Could the fact that I did not use the plumbers tape be the reason that I am having the leak?

Anything is possible. Re-check your work. I do know, if those o-rings are not used, or twisted it will leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to try to get new o-rings even though they look OK.
One question: my pipe is a slip-fit connection (i.e. not threaded). If the o-ring doesn't solve it, would it be better for me to just get a slip fit tub diverter. I don't know why the current installation decided to use a threaded diverter with the plastic adapter rather than just use a slip fit since no plastic adapter would be needed with a slip fit diverter. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yes, makes a difference, you have the slip fit. Different parts, etc. Might be why it's leaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts