DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I am trying to learn about diy decorating, I am studying to be an interior decorator and would love to hear from you guys.

What is your number one motivator to start a home decorating project? (personal passion, hobby, something broke,etc.)

How do you prepare/ organize this new project? (do you use an app, write it down, pinterest, all in your head, etc.)

Do you do these projects on your own? or do you have a partner in crime?

How many projects a year do you work on?

Do you ever feel the need to save notes about your project and revisit them in the future? (paint colors, measurements, tools, etc)

If you would like to add any other notes feel free. I just wanted to keep this short. Thank you!

·
Registered
263 Posts
What is your number one motivator to start a home decorating project? (personal passion, hobby, something broke,etc.)
* Wife tells me to. : )

* Hobby

* Something broken or just has become dated to the point it's not tolerable for us.

* Cost: Usually... not always... we can save doing things ourselves. In cases where neither of us have the skills, the tools are too expensive or specialty, or the time/value/cost doesn't make sense, we'll hire a pro.

How do you prepare/ organize this new project? (do you use an app, write it down, pinterest, all in your head, etc.)

* Online research. Clip ideas into Evernote.

* Maybe visit stores and discreetly take some pictures.

* Wife is obvioiusly partner here; definitely for the what to do, and most often helps with the tasks. Though I'll do the heavier woodworking and such

Do you ever feel the need to save notes about your project and revisit them in the future? (paint colors, measurements, tools, etc)
7 - 10. This will likely slow down. We moved in a handful of years ago and needed a table for a particular location that was had to fit. So I built one. It came out really nice. Next thing you know I'm outfitting more of a home woodworking shop and building more furniture Once I get done with a few more pieces, we'll be mostly done. Though I've been making stuff for some friends. (I work in tech for a living, so I think for me it's just nice to make "real" stuff sometimes.)

Everything from a project gets saved. Designs / plans, etc. go into a project notebook. Along with receipts, paint chips, stain colors / numbers, whatever. Sometimes this includes more pain the the butt instructions. Like for a stain that needs mixing... e.g. four drops black per cup of honey whet stain or whatever. Stain or paint gets a dab on outside of can, and labeled as to for what it was used. If there's leftover parts that are specialty hardware, they get labeled and put in a little bag, then in a place for such parts. May never need them again. But nothing worse than finding little crappy unlabeled parts you don't know what they're for and can't throw out because you don't know if you'll ever need it. Hate that.

·
World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts

- Need to try out the ridiculously expensive tool I just bought.

- Depends. I modify something from YouTube or Pintrest usually.

- My wife likes to DIY too.

- We're always working on something.

- I should, but no.

I DIY mostly because I'm too proud and stubborn to have anyone else do something I could do myself. Plus I like to buy new tools. I think I might have a problem with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts