DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Sorry, this is not strictly a fabrication question but I thought folks in here might be able to help.

Can anyone identify this metal bracket - or something similar that I can buy in a bag of 20 or so? I had a few in my "bits bag". I don't know where they came from. But they're really perfect for hanging round metal ducts using screw hose clamps.

It's basically a small mending plate (2" x 0.5") with some bends in it. It is identical in structure to a steel bar holder, but much smaller.

Follow up question - if I were to try and turn mending plates into a brackets like this, what kind of machinery would I need?

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,123 Posts
It is a top hat bracket or maybe a shallow top hat bracket.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts

Great call. I learned something new today. :)

Follow up question - if I were to try and turn mending plates into a brackets like this, what kind of machinery would I need?

A vice, vise grips and a hammer. It can be done but they will be crude.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Amazing, thank you!

Interestingly it seems really hard to get them in the US. They're common in the UK and elsewhere.

I thought about using a mending plate with washers as you mentioned, it would be a bit fiddly especially when installing in precarious, upside-down places but definitely workable, and also there'd be less slack under the plate.

·
retired framer
44,123 Posts
Amazing, thank you!

Interestingly it seems really hard to get them in the US. They're common in the UK and elsewhere.

I thought about using a mending plate with washers as you mentioned, it would be a bit fiddly especially when installing in precarious, upside-down places but definitely workable, and also there'd be less slack under the plate.
It might just be a different name to look up to find them here.

Double sided tape the washer in place on them. :biggrin2:

·
Hammered Thumb
3,495 Posts
I'm guessing to make those short tight bends from flat mending plates you would need a hydraulic press.

If you are using them for duct hangers and have to buy more hat shapes + worm gear clamps, might as well buy prefab ones, they have in plastic or galv. clamp style, can also go to B-vent style.

Edit: you can also search "strut bracket" besides "hat"

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing to make those short tight bends from flat mending plates you would need a hydraulic press.

If you are using them for duct hangers and have to buy more hat shapes + worm gear clamps, might as well buy prefab ones, they have in plastic or galv. clamp style, can also go to B-vent style.

Edit: you can also search "strut bracket" besides "hat"
Can you link me to the prefab duct clamps you speak of?

·
Hammered Thumb
3,495 Posts
Few different styles, searching HD is strange, there is not 1 section for them. You have to search something like HVAC/duct/accessories, or plumbing/gas fittings, they're all over the website. Here's one version of hanger I found quick
HD 5" vent pipe hanger
Grainger and Amzn is easier.

Also just perforated strap is cheap and works real well. If you are holding up a duct between joists you can just rest it on a telescoping support. Many options for whatever the situation.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Few different styles, searching HD is strange, there is not 1 section for them. You have to search something like HVAC/duct/accessories, or plumbing/gas fittings, they're all over the website. Here's one version of hanger I found quick
HD 5" vent pipe hanger
Grainger and Amzn is easier.

Also just perforated strap is cheap and works real well. If you are holding up a duct between joists you can just rest it on a telescoping support. Many options for whatever the situation.
I see. I have seen those. They're nice but hugely overpriced (Grainger wants $20 for a single 6" hanger, and I need 8" hangers). The pricing of the various hangers out there is extremely arbitrary, I'll never understand it. Thanks anyway, I might use the expensive prefab ones in exposed locations for aesthetic reasons.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
That bracket looks pretty rough. If it is rough galvanized I would try a shop that sells or installs docks. It looks like a leg bracket that would be on a pier to align and join sections and secure the legs.
But those may be a bit larger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts