Need to hook up to house with:

Red
White
Black
Bare wire

What is the magical solution??

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Larry Beebe

I recall someone calling me to hang an IKEA ceiling light fixture a few years ago. I don't remember the details, but I think it did not come with the proper hardware to hang it properly. I think that I actually went back to the house and hung a different fixture after they returned the IKEA model.

Post some pictures of the light fixture and the hardware and also of the ceiling electrical box. If you cannot post here, then post in your album.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Just purchased an IKEA ceiling light with three wires:

Yellow/green
White

Black

Need to hook up to house with:

Red
White
Black
Bare wire

What is the magical solution??

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Larry Beebe
Where are these four wires ?
Red,white & black can indicate a 240v supply
Or a wiring set up with a switch loop.
Do you have a ac volt meter ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wires

The ceiling light came with a hanger to hook up to the ceiling electrical box.

Light that was replaced only had two wires and a ground wire. The black wire in the ceiling box was not hooked up to anything.

Could the wires in the ceiling box red, white, black and bare be for a three way switch?

Hope this helps to clarify what I have,

Larry

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
The most legitimate reason would be someone once had a fan there, or they pulled the wire for one.

If I was positive the old light was connected to red, white, bare, I would hook this one the same way. Fixture black to ceiling red, white to white, green/yellow to ground (bare).

I hope that ceiling black has the end taped or a wire nut on it.

·
Super Moderator
23,996 Posts
Hook it up the same as the old one. green/yellow is ground connect it to the bare.
If your old one was hooked to red and white then hook the new one to red and white; white to white and black to red.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The ceiling light came with a hanger to hook up to the ceiling electrical box.

Light that was replaced only had two wires and a ground wire. The black wire in the ceiling box was not hooked up to anything.

Could the wires in the ceiling box red, white, black and bare be for a three way switch?

Hope this helps to clarify what I have,

Larry
No for a 3 way switch. Connect the black on the light to the red in the ceiling box. White to white. Green to Bare. Leave the black in the ceiling box alone.

I am guessing that the red is connected to the switch. You can test this easily with a rubber pigtail socket and a light bulb. Connect the pigtail to the red and white wires and turn on the switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you

Thank you everyone for your help hooking my IKEA light up to a ceiling box with an extra wire (probably for a fan)

It was as more than one stated, white to white, black from fan to red and green/yellow to bare.

Thanks again, great site,

Larry
Davenport, IA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.