DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have an offer in on a house, and they did the inspection yesterday. The inspector said it was vermiculite insulation in the attic. I showed this pic to another inspector too, and he said it was vermiculite. So now I have an asbestos abatement company coming on Monday to establish what it would cost to remove it.

I'm very confused, though! This insulation doesn't look like any of the sample pics of vermiculite insulation I've seen online. The online pictures are of little pebble-like pieces. This looks like cellulose to me. In fact if you look closely at the pic, you can see a piece of newspaper in it.

So, is this vermiculite or not?

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
How old is the house.

In addition to determining if it is or is not asbestos you want to know if it is the good or bad variety. Only the asbestos that came from the Libby mine in Montana contained the asbestos, unfortunately they produced the majority of it, but safe asbestos is still being produced today.

Sending out a sample will do both, confirm that is is or is not asbestos and then if positive they will test it.

Short answer, send a sample out to be tested and the abatement companies should advise the same. of course they may prefer to say it is so they can get the job. You can have the testing done without them.

Bud

1 - 2 of 2 Posts