DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Red Seal Electrician
814 Posts
I can't make sense of what you have there other than what's circled in yellow is incoming from the breaker.

You're going to need to splice 3 pigtails to the incoming hot - one going to each device. (switch, switch, & gfci). GFCI gets a neutral from same cable with the incoming hot. Each of the 2 switches gets a wire (aka switch-leg) to its respective light and fan.

HTH

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Separate boxes? Hot (black and white) to all boxes. Black and white to line side of GFCI, wires to light in 1 box and fan in the other. Put whites together with a wire nut and the 2 blacks in each switch box on the switch. All grounds together.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't make sense of what you have there other than what's circled in yellow is incoming from the breaker.

You're going to need to splice 3 pigtails to the incoming hot - one going to each device. (switch, switch, & gfci). GFCI gets a neutral from same cable with the incoming hot. Each of the 2 switches gets a wire (aka switch-leg) to its respective light and fan.

HTH
Can I just use one single pole switch to control the light and the exhaust fan

HTH
can I use a plastic box instead of a metal box

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I’m trying to wire this so I can turn the light on and off and fan on and off and have power to the gfci outlet and not pop the breaker ever time I turn off the switch
I bet you're just running black & white to every device, thinking "give hot and neutral to every device"...

actually no. Plain switches don't get neutral. Plain switches interrupt the hot wire to the lamp. So wire the switch so that one wire is black from supply and the other wire is black to the switch.

GFCI outlet
Easy. As supplied to you, the GFCI had a warning sticker on it that said "Do Not Use. For Wizards Only" or words to that effect. It covered 2 terminals. Leave the sticker there and DON'T use those terminals for ANYTHING. If you do, you will side-step a whole bunch of problems people have.

can I use a plastic box instead of a metal box
You can, but we use boxes for reasons, and metal boxes are better for every single reason we use boxes. Also you get 2 bonuses:

• Metal boxes can be more compact (though, don't try to put a GFCI into the smallest Handy-Boxes, trust me on that!)
  • With metal boxes, attach the ground wires to the metal box, and push them into the very back. And then, switches, GFCI receptacles, and $4 "spec grade" receptacles all pick up ground automagically via the mounting screws. "That was easy"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bet you're just running black & white to every device, thinking "give hot and neutral to every device"...

actually no. Plain switches don't get neutral. Plain switches interrupt the hot wire to the lamp. So wire the switch so that one wire is black from supply and the other wire is black to the switch.

Easy. As supplied to you, the GFCI had a warning sticker on it that said "Do Not Use. For Wizards Only" or words to that effect. It covered 2 terminals. Leave the sticker there and DON'T use those terminals for ANYTHING. If you do, you will side-step a whole bunch of problems people have.

You can, but we use boxes for reasons, and metal boxes are better for every single reason we use boxes. Also you get 2 bonuses:

• Metal boxes can be more compact (though, don't try to put a GFCI into the smallest Handy-Boxes, trust me on that!)
  • With metal boxes, attach the ground wires to the metal box, and push them into the very back. And then, switches, GFCI receptacles, and $4 "spec grade" receptacles all pick up ground automagically via the mounting screws. "That was easy"
Yes I tied all black and all white wires together but I only have one hot wire none of the white wires are hot

·
Super Moderator
22,766 Posts
Black power wire gets two pigtails. One to the GFCI and one to the switch.
Connect all the whites together and add a pigtail to connect to the GFCI.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The labels are off for your setup. The 'pigtail to device' is the power line from the panel. The other two go to your switch and the GFCI.
The labels are off for your setup. The 'pigtail to device' is the power line from the panel. The other two go to your switch and the GFCI.
I wired it up that way and only had power to the exhaust fan and the turned off the switch and poped the breaker then tied everything together ran a jumper from outlet two switch and fan everything works till I turn off the switch then the breaker pops Wood Electrical wiring Machine Audio equipment Camera
Window Electrical wiring Gas Wood Recreation

1 - 20 of 92 Posts