DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do a faux wall and I was thinking marble, concrete, or water color! I really like the marble or water color type walls!
I saw a video where they used denatured alcohol to give it a water-color marble-esque vibe! But they didn't really explain it to well, and I couldn't find anything else about it on the internet!
If I spray or splatter the alcohol on my satin, water-based paint will it drip down? (The video I saw they were doing it to a wooden countertop so it was flat not upright)
In the video some of the paints were watered down and sprayed and splattered on the counter top, would that also drip down?
Any help or suggestion would be very appreciated!!
Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Probably going to be tough to answer your question as there are so many techniques to do a faux wall. You may be better off buying one of the DIY kits. They have all the materials necessary to do a faux wall. I've used them many times in the past with good success. Perhaps someone will be along shortly to give you more specific ideas for your technique.

·
Big Dog
3,575 Posts
I suggest you start with YouTube. There are numerous videos describing the technique.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I would use a Venetian Plaster. Start with your base color than change to a darker color repeating the color many times. I have used a twig from a tree branch , Leaf , thread with colored plaster on it throw it on the wall than remove the thread and trowel over the area pulling the color as you trowel. The use of a big turkey feather can also be used in place of the thread.
Look at these products Master of Plaster of Variance there are others but i prefer the Master of Plaster. Which ever one you chose it will take some where around five very,very thin coats buts looks real good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts