DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying, we live in a condo in a major city and we are probably going to sell in the next year so if the best recommendation to make sure that I am in compliance with code is to hire an electrician so be it. I would really like to do the work myself however. If an electrician is the recommendation what do you think the price would be for either of the options below?

So. We are wanting to do undercabinet led lighting at the same time we do the backsplash because I'll be able to cut into the wall to place the wiring easily and then just cover it up with the back splash. Thinking these wires will need to be inside some flexible conduit and then run through studs.

I will need to have a dimmer switch for the system as well as a magnetic dimmer power supply. The power supply I am sure will need to be in an accessible box to follow code (as well as making sense).

All of that makes sense to me (although if I am off my rocker with any of that let me know). However this is the tougher part. I have two options for circuit/switch placement.

Option#1: On the left hand side of the kitchen there is a kitchen counter power outlet. It is on of the GFCI outlets and its inline mate is 8 feet to the right. If I opened the wall can I put a double gang box in with that outlet in order to have a double gang dimmer switch outlet combo? Or is it against code to put ANYTHING else in that box with that circuit (I know there are some pretty tight restrictions with respect to those kitchen counter appliance circuits). The beauty of this idea is that on the other side of the wall is the fuse box. So I would have to run a whole new circuit. But if I would have to have a switch and outlet independent of each other I know my wife won't like the look.

Option#2: On the right hand side of the counter (L shaped so it is no longer on the fuse box wall), under the sink is an outlet for the garbage disposal and the dishwasher. They are both plugged into the same outlet but when I go back to the fuse box they have independent switches (granted they are bound together with a plastic piece). So I am wondering could I take power off the garbage disposal line at the outlet? And now that I think about it, it has a switch above the countertop. The hot wire probably goes to that and then gets switched on to complete the circuit to the outlet. So could I tie into the hot and put my led dimmer switch there, and then run the wire down below the sink to a electrical box with the dimmer power supply?

If you are still reading this thank you for your time and patience. I appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
21,080 Posts
1. Can't do that . The kitchen counter receptacles are dedicated the counter. You can not use them for anything else, like lighting.
2.The switch might be a switch loop with no neutral.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Can't do that . The kitchen counter receptacles are dedicated the counter. You can not use them for anything else, like lighting.
I would run a whole new circuit. I am just wondering if the dimmer switch can be in the same 2 gang box as the kitchen counter receptacle? Or is it a requirement that that circuit needs to be completely alone in the box?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would run a whole new circuit. I am just wondering if the dimmer switch can be in the same 2 gang box as the kitchen counter receptacle? Or is it a requirement that that circuit needs to be completely alone in the box?
*You can have two separate circuits in the same box. You can't use the kitchen counter outlet circuits for lighting.

·
Super Moderator
21,080 Posts
No code issues with adding new circuit and a dimmer to the existing box. As long as you don't tap power off the kitchen small appliance circuit you are fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts