DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm remodeling a master bath in our house. Since the oldest is leaving for college, I have "stolen" some space from his old room to enlarge the bath from 6'x6' to 6'x11'. The wall that is being extended is at conflux of other walls, so basically is is jammed full of studs and cripple at all kinds of different spacing.

This creates a situation where the wall is definitely not flat, and any one of the given studs is out a 1/4. I can't beat them back into place, as there is finished drywall on the other side.

I planned on putting a sheet of water resistant sheetrock on first to kinda create a average level surface. (I always called it greenboard, but now its yellow?). I was going to put the backer board over that.

No I'm having doubts about putting backer over drywall. But I can't really put the backer straight to the studs.

At this point, my best guess is 1/2 plywood, vapor barrier, backer board. I will have a pro do the tile, so my concern is to give him the right surfaces to work with.

MY QUESTION: Would it be best to move out as soon as the oldest leaves for college so he can't find out where we live? I would like feedback on the wall in case we decide to stay. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think you'd best spend the time now (rather than at the time of tiling the wall) to make sure the wall is flat by sistering new 2x4s to the out-of-line old ones and make a new flat wall from that. You'd only need to sister a few of them not all, but best make sure they are true now...

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
I think you'd best spend the time now (rather than at the time of tiling the wall) to make sure the wall is flat by sistering new 2x4s to the out-of-line old ones and make a new flat wall from that. You'd only need to sister a few of them not all, but best make sure they are true now...
That right there is your best-bet by far.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts