DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a battery powered M18 Fuel Sawzall. Model 2620-20. Gently used. It worked perfectly until now.

Symptoms
The motor won't turn, despite a full battery.
The battery works fine in my other tools
The tool makes a subtle "click-click". The motor seems to get some power, but not enough to turn.

What I've already checked
Cleaned contacts.
Removed the gear spindle cover and cranked the gear manually. Confirmed that the blade/shaft is not stuck and can move freely.

Could it be the speed control/trigger? If so, is all that a single part? Any suggestions? Is this worth sending in for repair?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Is it brushless? If so it could be the controller and I doubt if Milwaukee would sell you a new one. You'd have to get a repair estimate to determine if it is worth it or not. If you really want to go down another rabbit hole you can get a generic Chinese BLDC board and try to make it work. I did this with an Ego blower but it was a real challenge and probably not worth all the work. Look for youtube videos on this subject.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it brushless? If so it could be the controller and I doubt if Milwaukee would sell you a new one. You'd have to get a repair estimate to determine if it is worth it or not. If you really want to go down another rabbit hole you can get a generic Chinese BLDC board and try to make it work. I did this with an Ego blower but it was a real challenge and probably not worth all the work. Look for youtube videos on this subject.
Thanks for your comment. The 2620 is not brushless. It's the less expensive version. Milwaukee's factory repair charges $109 flat. A new one is $159. So if it's a simple replacement part, I'll do it. But I could use some experienced troubleshooting with this particular tool so that I don't order the wrong part.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you pulled the brushes and checked the length? Blown sawdust off the commutator?
No. I have not opened it up. The brushes are not accessible from the outside. Can you elaborate on checking the brushes? How would I know if the length is wrong?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Perhaps switch got some junk in it. I’d take it apart and clean it out with air and perhaps electrical contact cleaner.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps switch got some junk in it. I’d take it apart and clean it out with air and perhaps electrical contact cleaner.
Thanks for the tip. I looked at the switch. It has it’s own motherboard! Doesn’t look like anything is accessible internally.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Take it apart and clean it thoroughly. Sometimes all the dirt and sawdust that gets inside screws things up, and a good cleaning lets things work as intended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts