DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
where are you taking your readings from?

If you check at the lugs where the service entrance connects for both the hot and neutral and still have that reading, turn off all electricity and contact your power company. You likely have a bad neutral connection in your service drop or lateral.

In fact, while you are working on this, you should turn off all electronics (and that is at the panel as most electronics are never really "off") to prevent them from getting toasted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the electric company came and said it wasn't a bad neutral so i reinstalled the center.At the lugs it read 120 and 120.When i reconnected the lines they read 180 and 60.I lost a few bulbs.Some were din.Still can't figure it out.Please give advise.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
If the POCO checked their line and the problem arises when you connect a load in your house, I would start looking at what you did. Did you install the bonding screw that bonds the neutral terminal strip to the enclosure? Do you have any neutrals installed on a terminal strip other than the actual neutral bar?

If you did not install the screw and you have a neutral to a MWBC terminated on the grounding terminal, you have an open neutral as the neutral is not connected to anything that would allow it to act as a neutral.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my bonding screw is tightened but the center is flush mounted.should i add torque?also 1 line is to just a light socket with no ground but the ground wire is connected at center,could that cause 60 180?

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
the grounds aren't going to change anything. If nothing in your house was grounded, it wouldn't cause this. This is purely a neutral issue.

Do you have any MWBC's? If so turn them off. Then turn off any 2 pole breakers and check again. With no shared neutrals and no 240 volt appliances online, you should not have a voltage disparity due to the situation in the house.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
the electric company came and said it wasn't a bad neutral so i reinstalled the center.At the lugs it read 120 and 120.When i reconnected the lines they read 180 and 60.I lost a few bulbs.Some were din.Still can't figure it out.Please give advise.
Your description is somewhat confusing.
You are saying that at the lugs you have 120/120. Does this load center have a main breaker or is it a Main Lug?
Then you say you reconnected the lines - what are you calling the lines?
BTW, when you have lopsided 120 voltage, what do you read across the two lugs? If you read 240 Volts then you have a neutral problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it has a main breaker,lines are coming from meter,lugs are screws holding wires to center at 100amp breaker.Maybe the neutral wire from meter to center is compromised?

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Do you get odd voltages (for example 180 and 60) when you measure voltage between the big neutral lug and (in turn) each big hot lug near the main breaker?

... so I reinstalled the center ...
How do you turn the power off when installing the load center (panel)? Is there another main breaker somewhere else such as under the meter? Can you open that up extremely easily and measure voltage between hot and neutral there as someone else turns some incandescent lights on and off in the house?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Pulling the meter without the consent of the building authority (per Permit) and with the POCO is illegal. If you have a Permit, then OK.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
So you have been dealing with this potentially dangerous situation for close to ten days now???

WHY not call in a pro to get this fixed??

i physically remove the meter.the is no other box.i am installing a new neutral from meter to center.
Just doing this on your own? This is NOT a good idea as the others have stated.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
the electric company came and said it wasn't a bad neutral so i reinstalled the center.At the lugs it read 120 and 120.When i reconnected the lines they read 180 and 60.I lost a few bulbs..
With no power being used including when the load center has been disconnected completely temporarily, both sides will be 120 volts.

With a neutral problem, as things are turned on and off the voltage will keep changing and seesaw back and forth. The side with more amperes being drawn will go below 120 and the other side will go up.

240 only volt equipment (loads) and circuits are not affected by a neutral proglem.

Are all circuits affected or just a few?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts