DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am in the process of installing carpet in the basement. I am using a carpet that has an attached pad, yeah not the highest quality stuff but it will do the trick.

When it comes to cutting a seam, laying one piece on top of the other and cutting them both together is nearly impossible because the thickness of the 2 pieces is about 1.25 inches.

Also, this stuff cuts really sloppy when you cut it from the top down. I am having better luck flipping it over and cutting it from underneath. Still when it comes to seaming the stuff, I'm not getting the best results because I have to cut the 2 seams separately and then join them.

The 2 doorway seams I have done so far turned out OK but you can still see the line no matter how much you try to hide it, and I do have the joining pieces turned the same way so the knap is consistent.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I have one 8 foot seam in the middle of a walkway that I would really like to hide and I am holding off on that one hoping for a better way. Thanks.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,197 Posts
Straight-edge both pieces from the back side. Seams usually show on that carpet because the backing isn't a consistent thickness throughout. Nothing you can do about that.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Straight-edge both pieces from the back side.
Yes, that's the way I did the second seam. It turned out better than the first so I guess that's as good as it's going to get given the nature of the carpet.

Thanks for the information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts