DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am new to electrical work but have looked all across the internet and am unsure of how to solve this problem. I am hoping you can provide me with some direction.

I am replacing a 660LAG from Pass & Seymour with a Lutron MACL-153M-WH Maestro digital dimmer. I expected this to be a painless process until I found the wiring configuration on my 660LAG.

Based on what I've seen, it's typical to have 3 wires connected to this light switch, however in my case there were 4.

So, when I tried to replicate the configuration on the LAG660 on the Lutron the dimmer did not get any power. However, the dimmer did get power when I plugged something into an outlet directly below the switch.

Ideally, I would like the Lutron dimmer to always be on and for the outlet to always have power supplied. I have tried fiddling with different wiring configurations but am not sure what I am doing to be honest.

If you have any suggestions I am really open to them. I can also provide more pictures if you think that would be helpful.

I appreciate you taking a look at my issue and hope to hear from you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds weird that you got power to the dimmer when you plugged something into the outlet...

It sounds to me like this is what's going on in your switch box:

(3) 14/2 wires coming in...
(1) feed
(1) switch leg
(1) feeding power to an outlet

Try wire nutting the 2 wires that were connected to the same terminal on the old switch with a 3rd "pigtail" wire coming off. These should be your feed in and out. Connect that pigtail to your switch. Connect the other black wire to your switch. This should be the switch leg going to the light. Connect your ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Does the outlet below work with all the wires in the swicth box disconnected?

·
Super Moderator
8,875 Posts
The connection on the switch with the screw and the back stab is power in and power out.
The connection to the back stab on the top of the switch is the switch leg.
The other wire is the ground.

Connect the two wires that are on the right side of the picture and connect them to one of the screws.
Connect the remaining black wire to the other screw.

·
Super Moderator
8,875 Posts
@jbfan - many thanks for the reply. Just want to confirm. Do you mean the two wires on the right in this picture: http://imgur.com/Mt3TJth
I miss read your picture.
Connect the one on the left with the other black wire that was inserted into the back stab.
Remember that you can not have 2 wires under one screw.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If you know which of the two black wires coming from the top of the switch box was connected to the top of the old switch, connect it to the brass screw of the new switch. Connect the other wire from the top of the box to the little hole next to the black screw. Connect the wire with the curl in it, coming from the bottom of the box, to the black screw.

If you don't know which wire was connected to the top of the old switch, post back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK, so I have now created a pigtail between the left wire and one of the right wires from this picture: http://imgur.com/Mt3TJth

I tried pigtailing both wires. Right now the left wire connected to the right wire only has the outlet working.

Here is an image of the updated wiring: http://imgur.com/RrpoZjX

Not sure what to do at this point? Maybe pigtail both wires on the right?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
OK the left wire (the one that has the curl in it and goes out the bottom of the box) is the hot going to the outlet below.
The one you have connected to it is the hot coming into the box.

Connect those two wires to the black screw of the new switch. Put the curled one under the screw. Push the straight one into the quick connect hole in the back of the outlet next to the black screw.

Connect the other wire black wire coming out of the top of the box to the brass screw of the new switch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@hkstroud - I followed these instructions. At first glance, however, it appears as though only the outlet is working.

What could I have missed? Should I double check my ground connection?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@hkstroud - Actually! It worked! You won't believe it (maybe you will), but I didn't have a light bulb in because I need to get a dimming bulb for the light. So, I just put in the old Bulb even though it shouldn't be dimmed and tried it out. The dimmer works and the outlet works!

Thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts