DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day my wife told me the lights don't work in the bedroom. I verify it :laughing: and go to the breaker panel. Sure enough, the breaker is tripped. I reset and it goes back on but trips a few seconds later. Reset again and all is well. It has not tripped in three days and has never tripped prior.

This being a 50 year old house, I start to wonder what could be the problem. I recently upgraded the old receptacles but that was weeks ago. I was pretty diligent about making sure everything was correct before buttoning up the recepts.

Should I be concerned or not worry unless it happens again? There were no additional loads on the circuit when this happened.

BTW, insurance is paid up!!

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Good plan would be to plug a three prong tester into each outlet---also see if all switched outlets are wired correctly----some times the installer misses breaking off the tab that connects the two gold screws-----

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Dont use those stupid recept tester, those are for amatuers lol and lots of time give false readings. Get yourself a DMM and check your connections.
Im putting money on a loose connection
Meters for amateurs is a mistake in most every case. The more simple the testing device the better.
The tester mike mentions should be in every homeowners toolbox.
And even some professionals carry one around in their tool pouch or bag.
It is reliable and safe and requires zero electrical knowledge.
The perfect tool for the DIY'er.

A digital meter for home owners is silly in my opinion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
J. V. said:
Meters for amateurs is a mistake in most every case. The more simple the testing device the better.
The tester mike mentions should be in every homeowners toolbox.
And even some professionals carry one around in their tool pouch or bag.
It is reliable and safe and requires zero electrical knowledge.
The perfect tool for the DIY'er.

A digital meter for home owners is silly in my opinion.
Really, your an electrician, im an electrician, we both know how unreliable those are

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay sparkies, I respect your experience and your professional know-how but really, a MM in the hands of an amateur is a good tool. My old MM was rendered inoperable by a leaking batteries. Had I had that tool when I was diagnosing the dryer plug problem, I would have figured out the problem.

A decent MM is invaluable for both professionals and DIYers. As a fireman, I use the little probe things all the time to determine if a wire is hot or not. I know they are not 100% reliable but I have an easy solution for that. Wearing heavy protective gear, I rely on the caveman approach. Ground out the wire in question and if it arcs, it's hot. :laughing:

·
Registered
189 Posts
CosmicMiami said:
Okay sparkies, I respect your experience and your professional know-how but really, a MM in the hands of an amateur is a good tool. My old MM was rendered inoperable by a leaking batteries. Had I had that tool when I was diagnosing the dryer plug problem, I would have figured out the problem.

A decent MM is invaluable for both professionals and DIYers. As a fireman, I use the little probe things all the time to determine if a wire is hot or not. I know they are not 100% reliable but I have an easy solution for that. Wearing heavy protective gear, I rely on the caveman approach. Ground out the wire in question and if it arcs, it's hot. :laughing:
Im a vfd in new jersey, now we brothers lol

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
I am amazed at the few people who have a meter or tester of any sort--and come here seeking advice---with no way to see what is going on-----a simple probe tester would answer so many questions-----

·
Registered
431 Posts
Back to original problem...It would not hurt to replace the breaker since some in older homes especially become weak after a while .Would rule that out.
Is there a 3rd wire(ground) or is this a older 2wire?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back to original problem...It would not hurt to replace the breaker since some in older homes especially become weak after a while .Would rule that out.
Is there a 3rd wire(ground) or is this a older 2wire?
Well it only happened once. I will take a day to check all the recepts I replaced. It is an older 2 wire system. Eventually I will pull new romex with a ground. It is easy enough to change the breaker though. Will do that.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Dont use those stupid recept tester, those are for amatuers lol and lots of time give false readings. Get yourself a DMM and check your connections.
Im putting money on a loose connection
The four tools I have, are a no touch, a DMM, a circuit breaker finder, and a 120/240/480 tester. The plug in tester is great for when you are the average homeowner and cannot find a simple lamp to plug into the outlet for checking if it works or not.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So tonight the lights go out again. I go to check the breaker and nothing is tripped. WTF Sparky? For schnizzles and gizzles I reset the breaker. Circuits is hot again.

I think I have a bad breaker. What say you?

Thx.

·
Super Moderator
10,001 Posts
Bad breaker or loose connection, and I will go with a loose connection somewhere when you changed out the receptacles.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
I see that you are in Florida, but is there any chance you are using a space heater on some of the more chilly nights?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Bad breaker or loose connection, and I will go with a loose connection somewhere when you changed out the receptacles.
+1

The first thing I check when problems occur after I've reworked something, is my own previous work.

Did you back stab the receptacles, or use the receptacle terminal screws when you changed the old ones?

If you wire-nutted any wires together, check those for loose connections.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
+1

The first thing I check when problems occur after I've reworked something, is my own previous work.

Did you back stab the receptacles, or use the receptacle terminal screws when you changed the old ones?

If you wire-nutted any wires together, check those for loose connections.
I used the rear entry recepts :jester:

Those are all good and tight. On duty today. Will replace breaker tomorrow.

·
Registered
756 Posts
It's very possible you had a short circuit to ground. The second time you reset the breaker, you may have burnt out the piece of metal that was causing the breaker to trip. With the metal gone, the breaker holds. That piece of metal may also have been a wire that powers some of the things on that circuit. Hence parts not working while the breaker holds closed.

Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.