DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I have gas!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am I doing this correctly? I've got 11 windows to trim 7 are double hung; this is the first. I added a stool but the only place I can add a fastener is on the ends through the wall. The middle can't attach to anything. Do I nail through the stool into the apron and hope the nail doesn't blow through?
Or... does this type of window not accept a stool?
What am I missing?
TIA

Edit: added pic

Attachments

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I don't make such a giant hole. Usually if they are narrow enough, I shoot them straight to the window. But if they are close to 2" wide, I use a few GRK finish screws. You can also put the side casing on, then nail the stool up into the bottom of the casing. You can also shoot the apron on, and then fasten the stool to the apron by shooting down into it.

I dont know why you say you cant attach the middle to anything. I've done it for 30 yrs.

·
I have gas!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The giant holes are because I opted to screw the stool to the framing to gain support. I plan to bung them once complete.
I can't just fire nails through the front edge. I added a pic but it's hard to illustrate what I'm seeing... the stool is positioned so that most of it overlaps the 3/8" piece of wood covering the sash. Most likely the nail will nail the sash shut or at best damage the sash.
So window stools aren't a thing anymore? Too bad, I like the look and it was convenient because you don;t have miter and match.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Make sure you use a wood plug to cover that hole. Filler will show later. It also should show only about an inch after side trims are added. Or you can assemble the stool and the apron then nail through the apron. Problem starts with using modern, thin trim and trying to copy the traditional style. Glue and pin nails will help.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
I was sitting here trying to find out what was wrong.

After setting the window you put a stop on all four sides.
No stop is needed at the bottom and should be the sill cut to fit. The sill should abut against the window frame and come out 2" past the wall (drywall) and 1" past the sides of the finish trim.

Forgot.
You can use pocket hole screws on the botoom of sill so they won't be seen and pneumatic pin/trim nails on top then putty.
Don't forget your trim under your sill.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Ron... looks to me like he is retrimming an old existing wood window. But you are right... he probably could have removed the old existing stops, and then the stool would have fastened to the sill.

·
I have gas!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I'm following. This is an Andersen 400 window, granted needs to be cleaned up from drywall dust and such, but it's a new install and never been trimmed. What is the stop and can it still be removed after a window installation?
Here's a pic of one of the other unstooled windows.

Attachments

·
I have gas!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, long story short, it sounds like it's not just me, these windows are difficult to add a sill to in a 2x4 wall. Is that a fair statement.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Not difficult at all, unless you cant read, or didnt look at the illustration on page 55 of that link. It depicts a stool on your very window. See how and where it fits? Some reason you cant do that?

You can also open the window and fasten the stool by nailing through back side of the bottom stop.

·
I have gas!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it, thanks. Yes and sorry, I misread your post to read, "you can't do that and here's why." So that's exactly what I did including the slot in the sill to match the groove in the window. I got hung up on attaching the middle of the stool.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.