DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm trying to trim/case a passageway from my dining room into the living room. The problem is that it, the passageway, is the corner of the room. If you imagine your in a box cut off a corner and walla there is the doorway that needs to be trimmed out. My great grandfather built the house and I don't remember it ever being anything but a rough hole. I would greatly appreciate any insight you may have.

Sorry for the cruddy pic. I will try to take a better one tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yeah, kind of looks like you need to add at least 1 stud on the left side. Then you build a door jamb that will match the wall thickness. Put it in the opening and insert shims around the outside of it until it is plumb and level. Then apply the casing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. So the walkway opening being to small isn't a problem and if I need to put in a couple of studs on the blue arrow side for structural support not a prob but I should do it to the red arrow side also, right? Nothing is level or plum in this old house since they tried to lift it unsuccessfully to put a foundation under it. But for being a 120 and built using rough mill cast offs it's not doing so bad. Lol. The green arrows pointing to the boards on the ground is just to show where the walls would connect if they kept going. I'm still not sure how to trim it so it doesn't look all wonky even after putting in studs. Anymore ideas would be great! We just put in new flooring and was going to put the baseboards on and thought hey you should do the pass thru while your at it. It shouldn't take too long lol

Attachments

·
retired painter
10,686 Posts
Unless I'm missing something there is nothing to be gained by adding a stud on the red arrow side. If it's not plumb you should be able to shim the jamb where it's a non issue.

·
retired framer
42,863 Posts
Looks easy from my house. It looks like you could just drywall it. But the odd angle might have been the hang up in the first place. Mostly you fake it until you like it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Mark Sr. I will just put a stud on the blue side. Nealtw thank you also, the ackward angle is indeed what the hold up is. do you think putting in plinth blocks and putting the trim diagonal so it faces each other would look ok? And if so how would go about filling in behind it since t wouldn't be flush?

·
retired framer
42,863 Posts
Thank you Mark Sr. I will just put a stud on the blue side. Nealtw thank you also, the ackward angle is indeed what the hold up is. do you think putting in plinth blocks and putting the trim diagonal so it faces each other would look ok? And if so how would go about filling in behind it since t wouldn't be flush?
Square cut a 2x4 and lay it on the floor like it was the bottom of a wall and take a picture so we can see what angles you have, then take a picture of both sides in and out so we can see how the walls line up.

·
retired framer
42,863 Posts
Yes that is sorta what I wanted. How wide are the studs on each side 3 1/2, 5 1/2 or other?
How long is that piece you laid down or the narrowest measure between the two walls?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The "blue" side is 3 1/2 by 1. The "red" side is 3 1/2 also but it is by 2 the piece I layed in the middle is 43 1/2 long the metal transition piece is 46 long

·
retired framer
42,863 Posts

If you lay this board so the corners are lined up with the corner of the stud on each side.
And then lay a block on top up against the stud and draw a line on the other side of the block. you will have a sample for both angles.
Then you could cut a 2x4 using those angles and just set that in place on the carpet and take a picture.

·
retired framer
42,863 Posts
In the bottom picture id that a trim piece that can be removed? remove it.

In this picture it looks like another piece there can you take another picture so I can see how that fits there.

Now what are we doing at the top? do you want to drop it to the same height as the door ways?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bottom most picture, the blue side, doesn't have any trim, I think your seeing the painted line that stayed on the wall after taking it down. but I did remove a wall board on the red side so you could see that stud better. Sorry the pic is so dark daylight is leaving and the living room is a dungeon, my next project lol but one room at a time. Eww I'm definitely cleaning that out before putting it back. I want to drop the top down a little but not as far as the rest of the doorway.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 95 Posts