DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ron Paul 2012
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a flag pole light that gets 250v at the socket but does not light the bulb. I have changed the light socket which was rated at 600v 600w and the light bulb (70w metalarc) to rule out the possibility of one of these two.

I have a second light that I used in comparison and the voltage it receives is the same but its lighting the bulb. I am lost on what could be the issue.:furious:

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Since this an HID light a voltage test at the socket is worthless.

If a new lamp does not work then replacing the ballast kit is your only option.

You can try parts, like the ignitor (if there is one) or the capacitor, but it is not worth it. Just swap out the whole ballast kit.

·
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO
369 Posts
Since this an HID light a voltage test at the socket is worthless.

If a new lamp does not work then replacing the ballast kit is your only option.

You can try parts, like the ignitor (if there is one) or the capacitor, but it is not worth it. Just swap out the whole ballast kit.
This is the best way to go

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Measuring the voltage at the socket of an HID fixture can potentially destroy your meter. Some fixtures use a very high voltage pulse (around 6000V) to start the lamp - and it can light your meter right up, too.

·
Ron Paul 2012
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up, but this doesn't have a ballast it is just a Black, White, Green coming in with a porcelin socket.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
If you did swap the bulb around and the luminaire do not light up then you know the ballast is either going bad or have bad ingitor.

As soon I heard word 70 watts MH that more likey it is a pulse start Metal Halide

And did you double check wiring connection there are couple verison I know of it run.

And last thing what colour socket you have there ?? due some are required a open lamp rated bulb socket { typically pink in colour and the concats are diffrent ( much deeper than standard one is )}

Merci,
Marc

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, but this doesn't have a ballast it is just a Black, White, Green coming in with a porcelin socket.
Some case you may have remote ballasted luminaire or well luminire which they will have seperated WP box for ballast housing.

Merci,
Marc

·
Ron Paul 2012
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to dig deeper tomorrow morning, what I have is two in ground holes with a white porcelain socket's that wire up with a Hot, Common, and ground wire grounded onto the brass surrounding that the socket sits in.

The wires come in from the side and I traced them back to in ground junction box with a bunch of pigtails. How far back could the ballast be?

Also, when I did the voltage check - I took the leads off the socket and received 252v on meter.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
If it's a pulse start fixture, the ballast cannot be very far away. If it's not, it could be anywhere. Are you sure the replacement lamp is the right type? Using a pulse start lamp in a non-pulse-start fixture will result in it not lighting. Can you swap a known-working lamp from another identical fixture into this one?

·
Ron Paul 2012
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried the bulb in the other flag pole light we have and it works fine, I am going to have to start pulling up ground hatches trying to trace this down. Where would you guys recommend me buying a replacement socket if that is the issue.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Where would you guys recommend me buying a replacement socket if that is the issue.
It's not the socket.

Try an electrical supply house for the ballast kit. Home Depot will not have it.

·
Ron Paul 2012
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Speedy! But, I am having a problem locating where the ballast kit is.. In the flag pole hole all i see is the wire run and trace it back to pigtails in different outdoor hatches but never see any ballast kits.

What throws me off is the second flag pole light works fine. I am waiting on the elec. plans on the lights, I should have those on monday.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Look at the other luminaire some case I know with remote ballast they can bundle up to one spot so you will have to look around and with most of the Pulse start ingitors the distance is genrally 3 to 5 meters but once you get over 5 meter there is a long distance verison which it will go 20 meters from the bulb location.

You may have to trace where the conductors goes somecase you may get lucky in first shot.

Merci,
Marc

·
Ron Paul 2012
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I contacted the contractor who installed it and the ballast is located somewhere in a bronze box separate from the light.

I am renting a metal detector to locate it because it is buried under dirt and tambark somewhere around. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

·
Ron Paul 2012
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all of your help guys, I ended up finding the ballast buried in-ground and flooded with water. I changed it out fired up and my old glory is looking as beautiful as ever.:thumbup:

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Thank you for all of your help guys, I ended up finding the ballast buried in-ground and flooded with water. I changed it out fired up and my old glory is looking as beautiful as ever.:thumbup:
Excellent! Did you somehow ensure that the new one doesn't get flooded also?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts