DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would a 16' x 16' trex deck cost? Looking to build one,If worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
They are worth it IN THE LONG RUN. If you plan on staying in your current home for the foreseeable future, it’s a good investment. They last forever unlike a pressure treated deck which looks good for a couple years then has to be continually treated with a protective coating. Do the math. Check out the current pricing at Lowe’s, HD, etc. With waste you have about 300 sq ft to cover but that doesn’t include framing. Your joists will be closer together so you don’t get a lot of bounce when walking on it. And, of course, labor is your biggest cost if you’re not going DIY. It will be a small fortune to be honest

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your comment, I wanted to do a wood deck but I see lumber is so high.. So I thought I would try trex and price it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too many variables for a useful answer. How high off the ground? Handrails / guardrails? Stairs?
I want a railing
Too many variables for a useful answer. How high off the ground? Handrails / guardrails? Stairs?
I do want handrails and stairs.. only about 3 inches off the ground. . I'm a single mom that bought a foreclosure house. And I know nothing about a deck.. lol.. I just heard how high lumber is right now.. so I thought I would price trex, to see if It is cheaper..

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,596 Posts
I want a railing

I do want handrails and stairs.. only about 3 inches off the ground. . I'm a single mom that bought a foreclosure house. And I know nothing about a deck.. lol.. I just heard how high lumber is right now.. so I thought I would price trex, to see if It is cheaper..

Unless you can find volunteers to do the work, a contractor will charge BIG $$,

Not that they aren't worth it, but as an experienced builder, I can and have built decks for the cost of materials and my time.

It is simple, if you have tools , ( which includes a brain), and time.

Your best advice is to find a church group, or other charity group to do the work.

Around here there is a group that helps handicapped, or single moms, or other needy folks.

You buy the materials, they build, both benefit.

ED

·
Usually Confused
7,352 Posts
Thank you for your comment, I wanted to do a wood deck but I see lumber is so high.. So I thought I would try trex and price it.
I have read, but cannot confirm, the composite decking prices have been more stable than the current ride lumber is going through, but the deck surface is only part of the structure. The framing is still lumber, most preferably pressure treated.

I want a railing

It pretty hard to do a deck that close to the ground when you take into account the thickness of the decking and required framing. Even with 2x4 framing (not recommended), the deck would be about 4 1/2" off the ground, not counting whatever it is sitting on (it has to sit on something - not just the ground) and there is moisture issues with really low deck frames. There is no legal need for a railing for a deck that low (unless you want to corral) and no functional need for stairs, obviously.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Trish ... trex and other similar products are only suitable for the deck boards, the structure below is still built from real wood lumber, and much of it needs to be pressure treated.

Sounds like you are looking for a platform for chairs and a bbq grille, rather than an elevated deck. That works in your favor. Depending on your topography, you could lay 2x treated lumber on the ground and add deck boards for the finished surface, and do it relatively cheaply. If you will only be 3” off the ground, why do you want railings?

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
I am in the middle of building a small ground-level "deck." Actually it's more of a boardwalk leading up to the stairs to the main deck.

Nothing fancy a couple of inches of crushed stone for drainage, and a couple of pressure treated 2x4 to screw the Trex into.

The black stuff on the joist is deck tape, which I had left over from the main deck. Worth a few bucks to add protection to the joist from water damage. And it adds a touch of cushion and flex to the boards. This stuff

Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts