DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
OK I’ll spray I didn’t know with big holes in the trellis if spraying was better than rolling.

I checked and stain is available in a spray can. is there any brand that’s better than another? thanks
I'm thinking after just a few minutes of holding a spray button down you may be wishing you had that 2" roller that will go between slats.:smile:

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Liquid nails was really hard to use. First I almost couldn't poke a hole in the tube. Then my heavy duty calk gun made my hand sore using it on the 8’ end cap.

I don’t think it looks very neat so this will be the top.

Its stained finally because I sloshed the stain on.

The 8’ post were heavy but when HD cut a foot off for me. They were manageable.

B576F7D5-68B2-4F49-8B88-08EE4C13D19B.jpg

·
retired painter
9,885 Posts
Once you apply some paint over the caulk it won't be near as noticeable. That paint drip should scrape up fairly easy with a putty knife if you don't let it set too long.

Get a glass of ice tea, sit back and smile while you enjoy looking at your handy work.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Crud!

Measured to center trellis and thought I’d start digging holes to show the guy where I want posts.

Sprinkler pipe is in the way! I guess the trellis will need to be moved north and be off center to the patio. It can’t be moved away from patio cause theres a newly established bougainvillea that was a gift snd they get big around so I can’t set the trellis that far out from the patio.

D6B21AE5-6443-4450-8754-2F558769DAD5.jpeg

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
you could detour the pipe around the post base for about $5 worth of parts and glue.

Reactions: Startingover

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
If not to much space is needed you can notch the post around the pipe as long as they don't touch. Then paint the post where it is notched. The notch will be hidden by the dirt right.?

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You guys are brilliant!!! Thank you.

I’m excited. The handyman is coming tomorrow to put it up. I know this isn’t the Taj Mahal of privacy screens but I began this a month ago.

24A98E26-8D47-44D0-8362-E8C4A37704C5.jpg

These friggin post caps cost me almost as much as the posts. 3 caps and one 8’ x 2” board for bottom trim $38

Directions say to attach with caulk but can’t I use my leftover liquid nail tube? With our hurricanes I’ll also put a screw in.

·
retired painter
9,885 Posts
If I'm not mistaken there are 2 different liquid nail formulas, 1 is for interior only [water clean up] and the other can be used inside or out [cleans up with mineral spirits] You'd want to use the one rated for exterior work.

Make sure your screw is galvanized [or stainless]

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
And please post the 'after' pictures.

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
TA DA
I’m so happy. Exactly as I envisioned. Maybe it’s just me but I am always astounded at how many trips to the big box stores on buying things an returning things an going back for more things just for any project. Probably you men, that know what you’re doing, don’t have that trouble.

I liked an felt safe with this handyman. His price was so much less than others I gave him more than he asked for. His nail gun jammed but he had another automatic nail gun with him.

He just moved the post away from the sprinkler pipe. Its fine. $200 and I’m done!

F56BAC92-E7A8-4E41-AEBC-49851F679882.jpg

PS. Didn’t know liquid nail tubes came in interior and exterior but I looked at mine after I learn there’s a difference and mine is good for both- so lucky there

·
retired painter
9,885 Posts
Ya, we all make extra trips - it usually makes me mad at myself for not getting it right the first time. A week or so ago one of my stepsons had water heater supply line leak. When I got to the check out it cost a couple dollars more than I thought but I didn't pay that much attention to it. When I got to his house I found out why, someone had hung up a more expensive flex line [had a different type of fitting on one end] in the hole where the one I needed were hung.

Now you can get that glass of ice tea, set back and admire the trellis :smile:

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The next project I’ll do myself is replacing some of the black metal fencing around the patio.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts