DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Privacy only.

I thought vinyl was better that wood ( longer lasting?)

Theres not a lot of choices around here and Home Depot shows they’re out of almost all panels.

I think I found some guys to put the post in. if you think this vinyl lattice panel I’m looking at is too flimsy I wonder if these guys could build something on site? it’s not like it’d be real hard it’s just 4’ x 8’

Some of our stores are out of a lot of things. TJ Maxx one of the busiest stores here have so many bare shelves. I ask why and they said because it’s a problem with the distributors so I guess the distributors warehouse doesn’t have the staff because of the virus.

I’ll shop around. I don’t want it to look like a cheap pc of crap.

· Registered
5,711 Posts
3 posts, 4x4 ground contact rated.

A top and bottom band of appearance grade 1x4 treated would dress it up a lot and not cost major $, also some prtection from bumps and falling limbs.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
It's going to crack and twist, sooner or later, just the nature of the beast, but yes, you definitely want treated. And I would make sure it's rated ground contact, should be stamped that way, because it's not something that I use that often but it used to be that not all treated was necessarily rated this way, and I think it all is now, but not sure how long it's been since they changed that. I think 3 posts is probably the way to go, but an option might be to go with 2, and run 2 by bands top and bottom rather than 1 by's.

· Registered
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is one photo I found which I really like. I can tell these aren't PT posts. The neighbor beside me cut down his back hedge now I can see the houses on the other side of the block, the house behind him and the one next to it. I’ve gotten carried away planting thing so don’t want one more thing to take care of.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
There you go. For some reason my mind was focused on some of the plainer ones I've seen, and this is a little more work, not that much and well worth it, but much better than simply a couple of posts and a piece of lattice. 1x's on the side of the posts and along the 2x top rail, and it looks better and lasts longer. And I missed this in your earlier post, as well as Dave's comment, but definitely agree with wood over plastic. Plastic works well for a lot of things, and the wood is going to crack and twist too, but I have been less than impressed with any plastic lattice I have run across.

· Registered
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn’t think about plastic cracking but yes I had a big plastic watering can on the patio out in the sun and for probably six years and I picked it up one day and it just broke. I knew it was from the sun.

OK I’ll go with wood now the only thing, these guys that I called I’m kind of doubting they do any finishing work. They cut trees and haul debris and can install fence post but I can ask. I might be surprised.

· Registered
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And,
Another option is going ahead and putting a privacy fence up from the back of my yard up to my screened in porch.

I was going to do that someday anyway. I think when this guy comes to look at my project and give me a price I’ll ask about a 6 foot wooden fence l. the fence I have on the side and in back were built on site. For some reason the people I chose wanted to do it that way. I think it be cheaper to buy the ready-made panel like most people have.

Mine does look a little nicer but along the side between the houses I don’t care. My next door neighbor wants a fence so he’ll be happy.

· Registered
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Fence too much $$$. Installing trellis as planned.

What I purchased so far: wood trellis, 2 wood End caps and glue for end caps. Had to drive farther to a different Lowe’s because the closest one didn’t have the end caps. I didn’t buy 8’ PT ground contact post because they don’t have a machine to cut anything. Home Depot will make one cut per piece of wood so I’m going to have my 8’ post cut to 7‘. 2’ will go in the ground and 5 feet will be in the air and I am going to attach the trellis a foot off the ground.

I still need to hire a man to put posts in ground.

Will a fluffy nap roller work for staining trellis?

Thanks

· Registered
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After I lay a bead of glue in the (shallow) end cap how much pressure is needed during the 6 hour dry time? If I use blue tape to secure it maybe tape every foot or two? I don’t want to squish out the glue.

Or if I fill the grove with glue then stand it on that end maybe the weight of the trellis will be enough?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.