DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in San Antonio texas. This one tree i had trimmed a small chunk out of 2 years ago as the new fence was up against it bowing out would eventually crease cracked the lower square tubing and serious damage.

I had sprayed tree wound seal or spectracide tree wound sealant but today noticed a minor ant size termite infection. Is there anytime of affordable termite killer i can spray along the open tree area without damaging the tree.

Does it look like the city would be able to remove the tree with their lift and chainsaws wood chipper ive seen them do it near trees on powerlines.

If its outside the fence on city ditch property are they responsible or how to get most of this tree removed without damaging the fence.

I can take a sawzall and later and trim most branches inside the fence line that way if tree were to fall over it fall towards the street area. Also do the cheap plug in pole saws work 8-14ft pole saws electric cord driven?

See if this looks like the city could trim it up or completely remove it i dont want it falling into 1000$ fencing half mine and the neighbors.

In the winter all leaves are gone so i can see what branches are there and attempt to trim them inside the fenceline.

heres what were looking at i had posted 2 years ago about same issue someone said if city ordinance or on their side they had to remove it. Its a 30 year old tree could die fall over sometime soon,

How do you go about calling the city of san antonio city public service to see if it can be removed for free carefully without doing any damage. It was right inline with the front fence 2-3" so i had cut a small chunk out to give the fence room.

See the 3rd picture its outside the fencing in city ditch and about 2ft wide.

Who or how do you contact in san antonio texas 78223 to see if city can remove the tree thats in way of fencing.

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Contact the city planning department of San Antonio. Planning Department
You think looks to be on city side. The fence is even with both neighbors to left and right so is not my fence thats in the way its the city sides tree ditch.

From that website do you know who to call specifically what number? Thanks for your support in san antonio texas.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang i messaged them on facebook to contact. SO its city planning let them determine whos tree it is?I may just sawzall and ladder the ones on my side and if it ever does want to topple over the weight will be towards the street.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You cut THEIR tree down and they'll fall on you like white on rice.
Whatre you saying theyre tree is in way of my fence which is dead even with both sides neighbors fences its my fault cant put a fence up crooked.

You saying the city will fine me cutting their tree. If some branches on my side i can cut so the weights not going to let it flall my way. I left them message website had facebook contact about this tree deal.
Maybe a harbor freight polesaw electric 8ft-13ft and ladder trim limbs down to size to middle base of tree just on the inside fence line. Its possible it fall wipe out the 600$ section and neighbors fence that is similar.

Would the city pay for the repairs if their ditch tree fell on our property fencing?

·
Usually Confused
9,867 Posts
Is the tree in the way of the fence or the fence in the way of the tree? The city doesn't just decide where the property line is - the survey does, so you can either find it yourself or rely on the city. Can you prove the fence is on your the property? How adjacent property owners deal with trees, debris, damage, etc. depends on local laws.

Maybe San Antonio is better but I've never had much luck using social media links or email to contact government departments - phone is better.

·
Registered
Yes
555 Posts
I would not expect the city to do much of anything about the tree, or your fence. The fence should have been installed w/a V in it to accommodate growth. You then notched the tree to fix the issue. I would expect the city to charge you for tree removal and a new tree... IF.. they even acknowledge your request.

JMHO...sorry...Don.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the tree in the way of the fence or the fence in the way of the tree? The city doesn't just decide where the property line is - the survey does, so you can either find it yourself or rely on the city. Can you prove the fence is on your the property? How adjacent property owners deal with trees, debris, damage, etc. depends on local laws.

Maybe San Antonio is better but I've never had much luck using social media links or email to contact government departments - phone is better.
The fence is dead even with both neighbors fencing im guessing theres is spot on or was surveyed before having their fencing done.

I may try to polesaw some of it this winter the limbs on my side so its weighed towards the street,

Other then that does anyone know a good termite killer thatll get rid of an infestation? cheap affordable

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used spectracide pruning seal right after cutting 2" off the tree off on that one lower square bar. The guys putting up fence straight had barely bowed it around the tree and welded it. Said they could cut some of the lower metal squares up higher around the tree but months years later was arching it bad so i cut 2-3" off which left the fence enough room to not have pressure from the tree.

Im kind of disappointed it says water seals keeps out ants should be same for termites as i sprayed heay coats over the freshly cut area, Money back gaurantee. can be used to paint plant tubs black or the underside of lawnmowers.
Something like tree wound to prevent any pesticides from getting in the freshly cut area. You can see from the pics where i had sprayed this over the tree wound area.
I may have to get electric extension cord polesaw and attempt to remove branches on my side one with a good warranty for later use.
What affordable polesaws are you guys using?
Ah you can see in pics where i posted the black isnt there but fresh brown tore up rotten wood. Whats a good termite pesticide killer thats cheap enough to saturate the termite colony THAT WONT HARM TREES and then freshly spray the rest of this spectacide pruning seal over it.

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe trim some of the lower branches on the inside of the fence in the winter when leaves are dead. Think this is counted as a city tree obstructing the property fencing. I see them use wood chipper and lifts to trim trees along the power lines every so often.

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think chandler told me if i cut off a piece the tree would die like cutting off a foot and bleeding out. Its grown back every year but its big root is just inside the gate and one tree already fell over a smaller one 1/3 the size snapped one 6x8 or 6x6 section costing 500$ in repair.

Why i think its best to not have any trees right near the fence line or branches hanging over it.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,347 Posts
Ayuh,..... I donno 'bout in Texas, but in NYS, 'n here in Maine, the city/ town/ state owns 30' to each side, from the center of the road,.....
That could involve yer lawn / driveway/ fence, but you never actually "Own" any part of the right of way, even though you have to pay taxes on it, 'n maintain it,....

·
Usually Confused
9,867 Posts
There is a lot of professional knowledge, including academic studies, that show 'pruning paint' doesn't really do anything and might actually impair the tree's natural healing process. I'll bet if you read the can, it doesn't say anything about termites.
I don't have any experience with the critters since we don't get them up here (yet) but there are all sorts of resources online, from chemical to boric acid and even cayenne pepper. I doubt there is something you can simply paint on the wound that will be effective but others will know better.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
After looking at your pictures I'm guessing that the tree is actually on the cities property since it is on the street side of the fence. I would definitely discuss the issue with the city before doing anything.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They had just enough room to fit it up against the root up the tree and cut the botton around it just the tree was simply growing bigger. Im just staying at my dads but a 1/2" round tree fell over right on the edge knocking off one whole section or bending broke it that was just inside the fence right after getting it put up. Im worried about that one falling though the other tree sat at a slight angle. During the winter most of the branches looked towards the street with dead leaves so i was thinking itd fall outwards if it does just wondering if i should trim some of the inner branches.

That is a city tree then? They do trim around the power lines occasionally and use a ditch tractor. If the city tree falls on it then they wont fix it? I had mentioned it to the planning place and they gave me a number to call. In the winter it looks alot smaller and one neighbor with a truck lift said he'd cut it for around 200$ but wasnt a professional tree cutter.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is a lot of professional knowledge, including academic studies, that show 'pruning paint' doesn't really do anything and might actually impair the tree's natural healing process. I'll bet if you read the can, it doesn't say anything about termites.
I don't have any experience with the critters since we don't get them up here (yet) but there are all sorts of resources online, from chemical to boric acid and even cayenne pepper. I doubt there is something you can simply paint on the wound that will be effective but others will know better.
I had put it over as i was told tree wound or something of that sort helped from what i read with the tree recovering. Im not sure but is there anything that kills termites without harming the tree. The tree is 20 years older now then the tree that had originally fallen on the inside of the fence line breaking one section.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts