DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I need some ideas on what type of tree I should plant in center of my backyard. I’m located in Long Island New York. I’m looking for something that blooms or is colorful from spring to fall. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Hammered Thumb
3,518 Posts
That's very wide open criteria, maybe some research to narrow it down a little.

- How big is the yard and how much of it do you want it covered by the canopy or upper floors of a house blocked by height. Some are 50'-70' high, 20'-40' canopy. Smaller species can be 35' high max and 10-20' canopies. You plant accounting for fully mature size.

- What kind of color and how long. "Blooms" would mean a flowering or fruit (can be non-bearing), but that is not a full-season bloom. If you want more than just the fall color leaf change, then you can go with a colored leaf all year like a Crimson Maple. Some smaller species that have multi-stems can provide lots of color and be forced to a single trunk.

- Once you pinpoint your desires a little more, you can then start to create a list based on your hardiness zone and native species, and look at things like pests, maintenance, growth rate, how it fits into the rests of your landscape and hardscape, etc.

·
retired painter
10,993 Posts
Might be a good idea to go to a nursery and talk it over with them. Even though they'd like you to purchase the tree from them you don't have to and the knowledge they give is free to take with you.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,427 Posts
Another place for free ideas, is your County Ag office.

Your taxes pays them, and they are the experts on what grows well in the area, and they have brochures to show you what they advise.

You pay for this , so use it.

ED

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Hello guys. I need some ideas on what type of tree I should plant in center of my backyard. I’m located in Long Island New York. I’m looking for something that blooms or is colorful from spring to fall. Any suggestions? Thanks
As @3onthetree suggested, you should narrow your criteria a bit.

Maybe take a picture of the place you want to plant, from different angles?

I'm in California now, but used to live in Cleveland, Ohio which is a climate very similar to Long Guy Land's.

To speed things up a bit, I'm going to assume that you want something a bit on the small side.

Maybe consider a dogwood (botanical name Cornus). They're small and the blossoms in the spring are gorgeous, and, while they're not colorful the whole summer they often have berries and/or colorful twigs, and pretty leaves in the fall.

If you need something evergreen, let us know.

Hope this helps, tell us more.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My backyard is pretty big. Attached is a picture is one side of the backyard where I plan on putting the tree. The area is partial sunny. I’m looking for a tree to grow a bout 25 feet to provide a little extra shade in the summer time. I wish I could put a low maintenance evergreen tree but I would like to spice up the area with some color.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Drive around and look at trees in your area. See if you like something and imagine it in your view all year - would you like it? Find out details about the tree and then decide. It's best if it's local - that way they will require minimal care.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,518 Posts
It's hard to tell, but from the pic it looks like the grade all slopes down toward your patio. You want at least 3' or so perimeter sloped to shed water off the patio, so the hill would become a little steeper.

As far as only 1 tree being added that close, your choice of 25' high should make the roots less intrusive growing under the patio, but set the fully mature canopy dripline size away from the patio to make sure. That size keeps in line with "flowering" and "colorful" so you should have some good choices.

BTW, if you like evergreens, many consider the blue spruce as "colorful" (especially against your backdrop of deciduous trees). There are smaller cultivars max 25' high like Fat Albert, Bakers, and Baby Blue Eyes. Not so good if you want canopy shade, but you can combine them with a deciduous tree as well and plant more than 1 thing there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts