DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Is using treated 5/4 decking going to be okay with 16" o.c. 2 x 10 joist with 12 ft span
It will be fine as long as you're installing it perpendicular to the joists. Diagonally installed 5/4" would need 12" on center.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
OK, if the treated 5/4 is new(green) make sure you butt them tight against one another when screwing them down because you will have shrinkage and you Will end up with a 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap any way. A lot of people will tell you to space the apart don't do it they will shrink and your gap will be unsightly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My deck

I am building a deck all treated. Using. 2 x 10 x 16 as beams and joist with 12 ft span deck is 16.x 16 with 3 6 x 6 under each beam for supports. Would using 6 x 6 for the hand railing post be to much weight if I have them every four foot around the perimeter???

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I am building a deck all treated. Using. 2 x 10 x 16 as beams and joist with 12 ft span deck is 16.x 16 with 3 6 x 6 under each beam for supports. Would using 6 x 6 for the hand railing post be to much weight if I have them every four foot around the perimeter???
If the deck is built correctly, you'll have no issue with the weight.
The visual ascetics are another matter. A 6x6 every 4' is a mass of wood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts