DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what size wire i would need to run 140' to my travel trailor. Only major power draws are the 110AC, wifes hair drier and microwave.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what size the plug is. The trailer is at my deer lease. All i know is that the plug has three prongs, they're all the same size, the top two sit at an angle and the botom one sits flat. Looks like a drier or stove plug. i have an adapter thats fits on the plug so that it can be pluged into a regular 110 plug.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Like this (click on 30 amp service at left side of page)? If so, then it's a 30a RV plug. TT-30P (plug) / TT-30R (receptacle). A 120 volt 30a service.
http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Do you run an air conditioner or other high amperage device at the trailer?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The best way methinks to go would be to run an appropriate 120v 30a circuit (agree as above #8 wire due to the length of the run) terminating in a RV inlet recept.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's definatley a 30 amp plug. Ac and microwave are the only big power users. Sounds like #8 is the way to go.

My father-in-law said i need to run a ground wire. One soild cooper wire 50' long. Seems excessive for a trailer, any thoughts. We can'nt use cooper rods out here, after about 6" you hit soild rock.

Thanks for the information

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You need to run the ground all the way from the source to the outlet.

Reactions: BigJim

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
My father-in-law said i need to run a ground wire. One soild cooper wire 50' long. Seems excessive for a trailer, any thoughts. We can'nt use cooper rods out here, after about 6" you hit soild rock.

Thanks for the information
What you're contemplating is not a subpanel. It does not need a separate ground rod. Just use 8/2 UF with ground and you will be fine. You can get a lockable, water-resistant outlet box with the appropriate receptacle at most RV dealers. That's exactly what I have.

·
Super Moderator
14,206 Posts
Be sure your power supply is wired right and all your power outlets in the camper. I had an old camper and camped where the park rangers had wired the receptacle backwards, the first time it rained we had an unpleasant experience. On my way into the camper I reached and grabbed the grab bar and it knocked the stew out of me. I could jump onto the step and not get shocked but being grounded was a real thrill. I went to the station and they told me to change the wiring around like it should be.

By the way, if you use an automatic coffee maker, that bad boy pulls 16 amps, try plugging one into a generator and watch it bog down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts