DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

trap in horizontal gas lne

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SeniorSitizen 
#1 ·
I'm retrofitting an on-demand propane hot water heater in a situation where the gas line comes in at a height such that it's a horizontal run to the regulator and then a short 90 degree turn to the heater connection. Regulator has to be installed horizontally for lock-up to function properly. I need a trap upstream of the regulator, and I'm wondering about how to properly install a trap in a horizontal line, if that is even possible. Do I need to put a short vertical jog in the line just to install the trap and then on to the regulator? Seems like a horizontal tee wouldn't be that effective, but maybe ok if within (how much?) xxx of the regulator?

Thanks for any insights.

#3 · (Edited)
The pic that includes text is correct. The line from the gas valve to the T is - " Bull Headed " - into the T. The drip leg is piped into the T " running ".

The incorrect method shows the drip leg " Bull Headed " into the T. The line from the gas valve into the T is " running ".

My regulator is at the tank so I can't give you any more specifics on distance.

#4 ·
clarification and question

Thanks SeniorCitizen (that makes two of us...),

Just for clarification -- the photograph, showing the tee running horizontally, drip leg vertical, is incorrect. The drawing, showing the tee vertical, is correct. Yes?

I have a situation somewhat like the photograph, where the gas line, which is rigid, approaches the regulator horizontally. How much of a vertical above the drip leg is required? Would it be sufficient to run the gas line into the bullhead with the tee vertical, and come off the top of the tee with a 90 deg. bend and into the regulator?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.