DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking for some ideas on how to transition the paint colour coming downstairs to my home theatre room. Being a home theatre room, I'm painting it a fairly dark baige /light brown. The upstairs landing of the stairs and the stair walls are a light beige.

One option would be to paint the one wall in the home theatre room the smae light beige as the stairwell. I don't think I can bring the dark paint from downstairs upstairs because of how dark it is.

The last option is why I am here. Is there any good ideas on how to transition the paint? We thought possibly hanging a piece of trim vertically at the bottom of the stairs may be appropriate. We also thought maybe a straight vertical line of stopping one color and starting the next. Any help is appreciated.

·
long island, NY
382 Posts
we have a similar issue at home, but with our stairwell leading upstairs. We have 2 different colors of walls (the downstairs, due to little natural light, we painted creme while the upstairs is bright and is a medium beige).

While I will be the first to proclaim that our solution is not perfect, it's the best we came-up with. We ran a moulding right at dividing line between the 1st and 2nd story along the wall. Above: beige Below:creme.

Not perfect, but it also isn't too visually distracting. It works pretty well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I decided to go with the horizontal transition instead of the vertical. It looks pretty good. I too used a piece of trim to help with the transition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts