DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a 40A pool feeder, I need to transition from 1 1/4" schedule 40 PVC outdoors/underground to 3/4" Carflex LFNC-B in the basement ceiling joists. The least painful way to do it seems to be cementing the 1 1/4" LB fitting to a 1 1/4" - 1" adapter, to a 1" -3/4" adapter, to the 3/4" flex conduit and running the 3/4" through the exterior wall.

Picture of the proposed kludge attached. Is this allowed?

Thanks,

Sim

Attachments

·
Master Electrician
4,657 Posts
A. You will not find a listing allowing cementing Carflex in to a PVC fitting.
B. While it can be done it will be tough to pull a 40 amp feeder circuit into 3/4" Carflex
C. You could stub a short piece of 3/4" pvc through the wall and then attach a 3/4" female adapter to the pipe then use the proper Carflex fitting into the adapter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, pulling the conductors will be interesting. By "You will not find a listing", do you mean that it violates code, or that this just isn't the best way to do it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
I have no idea what an "FA" is referring to either and I do this for a living.

get a proper connector for the nmfc and then a reducing bushing to glue into the LB with threads to accept the nmfc connector.

·
Scared Electrician
715 Posts
Female Adapter, must be local slang term for a flex connector.

My advise is a flex FA and a RGC threaded coupling and a PVC MA.(male adapter)

And not listed means code violation, because code says it must be listed.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
Female Adapter, must be local slang term for a flex connector.

My advise is a flex FA and a RGC threaded coupling and a PVC MA.(male adapter)

And not listed means code violation, because code says it must be listed.
no. a female adapter (duh!!) is the piece the fits into the lb and has threads (female) for a connector. It is the reducing bushing I spoke of in my response. It's proper term would be a female adapter. a reducing bushing typically has the same type of connection (threaded or a glue fitting) on both the inside and outside. My error there)

as I said, all he needs is a FA of proper size (May have to use a reducing bushing as well as a FA if a 1 1/4 to 3/4" fa cannot be sourced) and a FNMC connector. Why is everybody making this so difficult?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts