DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I have a Trane XV80 furnace, around 5 years old. The problem, when the furnace is cycling down or shutting off after hitting the desired temp there is a thumping sound coming out of the unit. I pulled the front cover off but that’s it. It’s coming from the inside the unit so its not the duct work. I have uploaded a short video to photo bucket if you have time to look. There is a fan on the front of the unit with a R2 label on it, it shuts off before the sound starts. Any idea what could be causing the sound?
Thanks for your help,
Mark

http://s1339.beta.photobucket.com/user/mwcassedy/media/Furnace_zps6521c4c3.mp4.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply jvegas. I think we have different issues, my noise is a repetitive thumping that lasts for 60 seconds and sounds like an off balance wheel spinning/banging or a fast firing automatic machine gun. Not the same sound but repetitive until the unit completely shuts off. You can hear the sound on the photobucket viedo I posted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for your reply jvegas. I think we have different issues, my noise is a repetitive thumping that lasts for 60 seconds and sounds like an off balance wheel spinning/banging or a fast firing automatic machine gun. Not the same sound but repetitive until the unit completely shuts off. You can hear the sound on the photobucket viedo I posted.
Try to rotate the squirrel cage by hand and feel for anything but smooth. Of COURSE, turn off the power first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.