DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to inspect/replace the wheel bearings on my utility trailer. I am familiar with removing a castle nut to access the bearings but not with the nut, if that is what it is, shown in the photo. Does this part just unscrew? It looks like I would need a special tool to fit the two holes to get this off. Once off, would the bearing service be any different than bearings secured with a castle nut?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Never seen one like that. If it unscrews I suspect the tool you need is an adjustable pin spanner spanner tool.

·
Registered
Way to many to list.
248 Posts
I've never seen one like that as well.

Maybe?? theres a screw or nut that holds the bearing cap on when you remove the tire/rim?

Find 2 screwdrivers, rebar or something metal that fit in the 2 holes.
Use another screwdriver, wrench, hammer handle that fits between the 2 holed screwdrivers as a wrench.
Try to twist it off lefty lucy.
Do this w/the weight on the tire to prevent spinning the entire assembly.

HTH...good luck...Don.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Now this makes a bit more sense. The release point is inside the rear end hub and the entire axle slides out. You don't want to do that!

And the answer is you top off the grease in the hub. Look it up but is is probably 90w gear oil.

As an aside: as a boy we were riding home from a ballgame when whatever holds the axle to the gear gave way and the wheel drifted out against the fender.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts