DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

toto ultramax poor flush

619 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  djlandkpl
Hi, I purchased two Toto ultramax 1.6 toilets on craigslist. I replaced the refill assembly with the korky one recommended for Totos but did not yet replace the fill valve/flapper. The toilet does not flush waste well. Looking in the tank it seems like the fill level is really low. (see attached photo) would replacing that fill valve and cutting it higher (and raising the refill tube) solve the problem or is it something else?
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design Toy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,462 Posts
Can't really tell by picture but water level looks too low. Bring it up.

Those are easy fill valves to adjust just turn ccw pull up then turn it cw to tighten. Bottom of fill valve should be level with top of overflow.

· Super Moderator
8,462 Posts
Hi, I purchased two Toto ultramax 1.6 toilets on craigslist. I replaced the refill assembly with the korky one recommended for Totos but did not yet replace the fill valve/flapper. The toilet does not flush waste well. Looking in the tank it seems like the fill level is really low. (see attached photo) would replacing that fill valve and cutting it higher (and raising the refill tube) solve the problem or is it something else? View attachment 720786
Flapper may not be staying up long enough to allow a proper flush. It may be water logged and too heavy, or chain too loose causing it to close too soon.

What happens if you hold down on the flush handle until tank completely empties, do you get a better flush.

That may be why the original owner got rid of them. Imo, toto is an excellent brand. Try the flapper/chain adjustment next, about 5 bucks or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts